Glossary entry printed from Glossary Proxy missing topics

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Glossary entry printed from Glossary Proxy missing topics

Post by dtmenges »

I've used linked topics for a glossary definitions because images are involved. When I created a glossary topic with a glossary proxy, only the definitions entered in the glossary are rendered for the .pdf from the proxy. The terms with linked topics are missing.

Bug or pilot error?

Thanks.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Glossary entry printed from Glossary Proxy missing topics

Post by LTinker68 »

Print output includes only those topics that have been added to the TOC Editor, so I'm guessing it's related to that -- you don't have the linked topic in the TOC so it's not in the output. Given that, I don't know if there's a way to do what you want for print output.

I've submitted a feature request in the past asking for more editing control over glossary terms, including being able to insert paragraphs, links, span classes, images, etc. I suggest you submit a similar feature request at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
dtmenges
Propeller Head

Re: Glossary entry printed from Glossary Proxy missing topics

Post by dtmenges »

Thanks, I did submit this as a bug only because the linked definitions are picked up for a .chm but not the .pdf.

I guess I could do some sort of manually built printed glossary with some combination of snippets and topics but, workarounds are just a pain.
MAF
Propeller Head

Re: Glossary entry printed from Glossary Proxy missing topic

Post by MAF »

Hi dtmenges,

Did you have any luck with outputting in pdf glossary terms which are linked to topics?

We're in the process of deciding whether to go for text or linked topic and we are reaching the conclusion that this bug (feature?) is killing completely the benefits of HTML content offered by topic links. Also, in TopNav output, glossaries are just a dumb list of hyperlinked terms, which is a lot less convenient than the traditional list of terms we get with the text description.

I'm not sure what would be best actually... maybe to be able to select both text and link to a topic to get a glossary with both a short description and link for more details... or to merge the HTML content underneath the term in the glossary... I wanted to submit a feature request but I cannot think of what would be best. Any ideas?

Maf