Editing Heading Variables

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
dmcleod
Propeller Head

Editing Heading Variables

Post by dmcleod »

So I'm using the variable Heading.AnyLevel in the header frame of my pdf layouts. This drags the heading number, along with the title into the header, for example: 6.3.4 Communicating with the System. I want to get rid of the heading numbers. Is there any way to control that? I'm not seeing any back-end access into editing these flare variables.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Editing Heading Variables

Post by LTinker68 »

Nope. If your heading tag includes an auto-number format, then it will be pulled into the heading variable because it's part of the heading.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
loftwork
Propeller Head

Post by loftwork »

Not very useful for this situation, but you can use the chapter name in the header without the autonumber: the autonumber is a style class called e.g. ChapterNumber applied to a blank space and the chapter name is H1 applied to the chapter name. Then pick up H1 for the header without the autonumber. Could possibly extend the approach to h2-h5 but it looks like hard work.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

loftwork wrote:Not very useful for this situation, but you can use the chapter name in the header without the autonumber: the autonumber is a style class called e.g. ChapterNumber applied to a blank space and the chapter name is H1 applied to the chapter name. Then pick up H1 for the header without the autonumber. Could possibly extend the approach to h2-h5 but it looks like hard work.
Have you tried this and it works? Because the span class would still be between the opening and closing <h1> tags and therefore part of the heading's content. In other words, the code would be <h1><span class="ChapterNumber">1.0 </span>This is the Chapter Title</h1>. The 1.0 might be the auto-number on the span class, but again, it would be between the h1 tag and therefore included in the level 1 heading variable. I have not tried this setup, but based on how the variables seem to work, then it seems like the auto-number would still be included in the variable.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
loftwork
Propeller Head

Post by loftwork »

I only use it on two lines to get a large chapter number, so I see what you mean. There is an ugly kludge by making the autonumber heading style different from the <h1>, putting the <h1> heading on the next line, blanking it, and still picking it up in the header:
<body>
<p class="ChapterNumber" MadCap:autonum="1"> Processor Array</p>
<h1 class="Heading1"><span style="color: #ffffff;">Processor Array</span>
</h1>
<p> </p>

Should be able to do something similar with a table but only tried it once.

There's a related issue which is picking up a chapter heading from un-numbered <h1> for the header of a topic which follows on from the first topic in the chapter but does not itself have an <h1>. Again, only way I can see is a blanked <h1> line to feed the header variable. Suggestions for a more elegant solution very welcome.
jasonsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by jasonsmith »

You could maybe try using the system variable Title (= Title of the topic). Rather perversely, using this variable seems to require a chapter break to update the entry.
dmcleod
Propeller Head

Post by dmcleod »

@loftwork: That's a cool, interesting solution, but I have 1000+ topics, so probably a bit too messy. It would be nice to have an option that wasn't so much of a work around that relied on tricking the system. Not to mention I'm pulling from all headers, not just <h1>s, and since I don't know which will be the first to appear on any page, I would have to apply this fix to ALL headers throughout the project, which isn't really practical.

@jason: Yeah, I've tried that and it doesn't accomplish the same thing.

It's a pretty small issue, but it would be nice to have.
loftwork
Propeller Head

Post by loftwork »

Using the topic title in the header is interesting but I need the same header for all of the follow-on topics in a particular chapter and I can't give them all the same title. But perhaps the answer is just to get more manual and define a local header variable for each topic?