Error 10083: The process cannot access the file

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
udonna
Propeller Head

Error 10083: The process cannot access the file

Post by udonna »

Greetings,

I'm trying to build a PDF user guide. In the Target Editor, left the defaults.
This is the error I'm getting and am clueless how to resolve it.
10083 The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\udonna\Documents\My Projects\ManualOLH-Test\Output\udonna\PDFA4New\' because it is being used by another process. Compiler (Internal Error)
Advice on how to deal with this error will be much appreciated.
TIA, donna
Lydia
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Error 10083: The process cannot access the file

Post by Lydia »

Hi Donna, sometimea I see strange behaviour when having a PDF open and trying to build a PDF target. Even if the open PDF has nothing to do with the build target, I get an error. My fix is then to close all PDFs (Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader, etc.).
Using Flare 10.2 and Flare 11 on Win 7
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

Ensure that antivirus checking is turned off for the directory where Flare is building the output. When building output, Flare creates lost of intermediate files, then almost immediately tries to open them again to update them. If your AV program is on the ball, it will find these newly created files and immediately try to virus-check them for you, which may conflict with Flare when it tries to access them again.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Also, I received errors like that if I had the previous copy of the PDF attached to an email sent with Outlook. If that might be the case restarting Outlook will release the file lock that should not be there after sending the email.
udonna
Propeller Head

Post by udonna »

Good ideas all, many thanks for supporting!

Lydia, your suggestion was the answer to this issue: had the PDF of the Getting Started Guide open and when I closed Acrobat Reader it compiled with no problem :).
As you mentioned, it is strange behavior, for in the past I had the guide open yet it did compile.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Hi all,

I am getting the same error, even once the output PDF is closed and/or deleted.

P.
arunasathya
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by arunasathya »

Try killing any Adobe reader process that might be running. There can be such processes running in the background.

I did that when faced with the same issues and it worked.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Another possibly helpful thing to do is to exit Flare then delete \Outputs and \Analyzer folders from your project, then try again. That's a pretty useful fix for all sorts of problems, so that's the first thing I try whatever the problem is!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
phebert
Propeller Head

Post by phebert »

Hello,

I just experienced this issue when generating a PDF target using v 10.2. We have a little quirk however, this file is updated almost daily and published with the same name to the same network location. I have published in this manner before successfully so am unsure what the problem may be. I made sure no PDFs were open, or Adobe open, and even did a restart on my PC. Still no luck. I ended up publishing with a different name. I'm curious why this worked three times in a row and failed last night. The full error message is "The process cannot access the file, (file name) because it is being used by another process.". I'm on a Windows 7 PC if that makes a difference. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
bonniekim
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by bonniekim »

I'm running into the same error, and have tried all the suggestions on this post, but the problem is persisting. The only way I've managed to build primary again is by restarting my computer -- which is not a convenient solution for me. I'm currently in the page layout stage of my project, which involves previewing my output every couple of minutes. Please help!

EDIT: I've (temporarily?) resolved issues on my end by making sure that all my page layouts were of the same dimensions. (One of my page layouts were A4, and the rest were letter.) I'm guessing that there may be a number of causes leading up to error 10083, one of them being that unequal page sizes don't process in Adobe Acrobat properly.

There is a chance, though, that I may have just tried a number of different things (one being turning my computer/Flare off and on again, repeatedly) and I happened upon the right combination -- without being able to identify what that combination is.

Refer to Creating Page Layouts and Master Pages of the Printed Output Guide for info on how to change page dimensions.

EDIT: Still running into the same error.
minicyclist
Propeller Head

Post by minicyclist »

Just to add, it's not just Adobe Reader processes that you need to check for. If you're using another PDF reader, such as Foxit Reader (in my case), check for a stray process using task manager. I had this trouble with a Foxit update process hanging around after I'd quit the application. Once I killed it, I was able to generate my PDF.
amitdurgapal
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by amitdurgapal »

Disabling the Adobe Reader updater did the trick for me! The issue was only with PDF output. Every time I had to restart the machine.
Pamb10
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Pamb10 »

In my case, I had emailed the PDF to someone. I found out that Outlook was holding my file hostage. :)

I used windows Resource Monitor to find it.

Select the CPU tab.
Selected all Processes (not sure if this step is required).
Open the Associated Handles section.
In the search box type the file name (i included the path).
In my case it said that Outlook.exe was using that file, hence, the culprit.
I ended the Outlook task and was able to build my pdf again right away.
sdriggars
Propeller Head

Post by sdriggars »

For me, the Adobe process that was causing the issue was the Adobe Connection Synchronizer. Ending that task in the Task Manager enabled me to immediately and successfully restart my PDF build. It appeared twice in the Task Manager, but when I ended the first one, it removed both processes.

From some additional research I did, you may be able to remove the synchronizer from your startup tasks, but you'll need to confirm it isn't needed by Adobe products other than Reader.
--Stephen
Nick A
Propeller Head

Post by Nick A »

Using Resource Monitor, as helpfully described by Pamb10, proved what I have suspected for a very long time. It is Acrobat that holds files open, even when you have supposedly closed them. Only closing Acrobat completely is enough to make it fully "release" the file handles and allow Flare (or other applications) access to rewrite/rebuild the PDF file.