MiniTOC not working

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

MiniTOC not working

Post by pdenchfield »

I inserted a minitoc proxy into a topic for PDF output. This topic has several subtopics underneath it in the TOC (.fltoc file). However, nothing shows up for the minitoc proxy. Anyone seen this issue? What am I missing?

EDIT: Submitted a bug.

topic:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:lastBlockDepth="2" MadCap:lastHeight="99" MadCap:lastWidth="1068">
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1><MadCap:variable name="CompanyBranding.Company Name" /> <MadCap:variable name="Deliverable.DeliverableNameBracket" /></h1>
        <MadCap:miniTocProxy />
    </body>
</html>
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: MiniTOC not working

Post by LTinker68 »

It's actually been awhile since I've had to set up a mini-TOC, but a couple of things come to mind. First, did you specify the number of levels deep that you want to go in the proxy? I believe the default is 1, but check to make sure that you didn't inadvertently set it to 0. Second, when you say it has topics beneath it in the TOC, do you mean just listed sequentially after the topic, or do you mean they're indented under the topic, which makes the first topic a "book" and the other topics its children? As I recall, the mini-TOC only picks up headings from topics that are children of the topic containing the mini-TOC proxy.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your reply. I left the number of levels deep set as default. I also tried setting it to 6 levels deep. No change. And yes, the topics beneath the topic are children; the topic is a book. In a quandary! Hopefully tech support will get back to me soon.

Best,
Pamela
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Pam, when you say that nothing shows up in the miniTOC proxy, are you talking about in the generated PDF or in the XML Editor? It's not clear from your description.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Sorry, I mean the generated PDF. Thanks!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Are those "sub-topics" being conditioned out of the PDF for any reason?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

No, the topics are not conditioned, and they do appear in the PDF.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Is the miniTOC proxy itself conditioned?
Nita
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

No condition tags. Here's the code from the first topic containing a minitoc (all topics containing minitocs are books with children nodes):

<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:lastBlockDepth="2" MadCap:lastHeight="140" MadCap:lastWidth="1069">
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1><MadCap:variable name="CompanyBranding.Company Name" /> <MadCap:variable name="Deliverable.DeliverableNameBracket" /></h1>
        <MadCap:miniTocProxy style="mc-toc-depth: 6;" />
    </body>
</html>
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

At this point, I'd make a copy of my stylesheet and save it outside the project. Then I'd manually modify my stylesheet (i.e., open it in the Internal Text Editor) and delete or comment out, in all mediums, all styles related to the mini-TOC (including the proxy, the DIV, span classes, and p.miniTOC1, etc.), then regenerate the PDF output and see if the mini-TOC is there. If it is, then you've narrowed it down to something that you've added or modified in the stylesheet file.

Lisa
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Thanks, Lisa. Tech support is looking at my project now. I'll see what they find before I start analyzing my stylesheet.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I would guess it's because the topics you're expecting to see in the MiniTOC are not included in your print contents.

The MiniTOC in your PDF output is based on your print contents (which comes from mc-heading-level), i.e. it's a subset of the entries you would see in a TOC Proxy in your PDF output.

So if your mc-heading-level settings means that topics aren't included in the print contents, they'll not be in the print MiniTOC either.

It doesn't matter so much about your project TOC file structure, as the TOC/MiniTOC proxies in print outputs are based on heading levels.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Thanks, Dave.

I know I'm not the only one who wants TOCs of varying depth in a single printed output.

Example:
TOC for h1 level only (currently done as a TOC proxy in a topic)
TOC for all levels under a specific h1 (currently done as a MiniTOC in each top-level topic in .fltoc file--doesn't work, very likely for reasons you noted)

How does Flare address this requirement?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

I'm not aware of any solution, just pointing out the limitations.

I've never understood why Flare's print toc/minitoc is constructed from heading levels, when it could simply be based on your TOC file structure that you've already created.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Tech support came back with a great solution. Instead of a TOC proxy, use a List-of proxy set to h1. Yay!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Out of interest, how is that all configured?

I haven't tried it, but thought a list of proxy for h1 would list all h1s, I.e. a bit like a Toc proxy rather than a mini Toc proxy.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

That's how I thought it worked, too. The only way I could see it working in this case is if the "Use TOC depth..." option is enabled, which would somewhat limit the number of h1 tags in the resulting output. I would still expect it to list all the h1s in the output, though, not those just below the topic containing the list-of proxy, like the miniTOC does.

Lisa
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Yes, the list-of proxy is configured to display all h1 paragraphs. This functionality matches my requirement to list all localized guide titles.

Under each localized guide title, I have a minitoc proxy to list all headings for that localization.

Please let me know if you would like more details. Thanks!
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Ah ok, so you're using the list-of-proxy as a replacement for the toc-proxy; although presumably that would be a flat list of h1s (i.e. not multi-level).

So it still raises the issue that you can't have have a toc proxy and miniTOC proxy that display multi-level contents to different depths.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Correct. Thank you, Dave!
KennyBellew
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by KennyBellew »

pdenchfield wrote:I inserted a minitoc proxy into a topic for PDF output. This topic has several subtopics underneath it in the TOC (.fltoc file). However, nothing shows up for the minitoc proxy. Anyone seen this issue? What am I missing?

EDIT: Submitted a bug.

topic:

<html xmlns:MadCap="http://www.madcapsoftware.com/Schemas/MadCap.xsd" MadCap:lastBlockDepth="2" MadCap:lastHeight="99" MadCap:lastWidth="1068">
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
        <MadCap:miniTocProxy />
    </body>
</html>
Once reason this will happen is if you uncheck "Use TOC depth for heading levels in the Target under Advanced.
KennyBellew
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by KennyBellew »

I discovered that in the Target, under Advanced, I need to have Generate TOC proxy selected as well as Use TOC Depth for heading levels selected.