Box Shadow / Drop Shadow in PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Box Shadow / Drop Shadow in PDF

Post by Daniel Lemke »

I have been playing around with css controls in an attempt to simplify our image doctoring. We currently use Snagit to resize, add a border, then add a drop shadow. I want to replace that process with some css similar to the following:

Code: Select all

img.raw
{
	border: 1px solid #909090;
	box-shadow: 5px 5px 10px #909090;			/* Firefox 4.0+, Opera, IE 9 */
	-webkit-box-shadow: 5px 5px 10px #909090;	/* Chrome and Safari         */
	-moz-box-shadow: 5px 5px 10px #909090;		/* Firefox 3.6               */
	-ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(Strength=10, Direction=135, Color='#909090')";
	filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Shadow(Strength=10, Direction=135, Color='#909090');
	max-width: 700px;
}
This works for our Webhelp output in Chrome, FF, and IE8+. However, only the max width and border are taking effect when using a PDF target. For the pdf target, I have added the following to the print medium section of our css (to convert pixels to points):

Code: Select all

img.raw
{
	border: 1pt solid #909090;
	box-shadow: 5pt 5pt 10pt #909090;																		/* Firefox 4.0+, Opera, IE 9 */
	max-width: 400pt;
}
Has anyone had success using CSS to add drop shadows to elements for PDF output? Is this possible? We are using Flare 10.1.
Dan Lemke of Thomson Reuters
SandraWitte
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Box Shadow / Drop Shadow in PDF

Post by SandraWitte »

I've realized that this threat is a little old now. But maybe anyone has a cure to this problem:
We want to add drop shadows. It works fine in HTML-Output but doesen't appear when using the pdf target.
For print medium I added the following:

img.BoxShadow
{
margin-bottom: 2px;
margin-top: 8px;
max-width: 100%;
box-shadow: 10px 10px #999999;
background-color: white;
-webkit-print-color-adjust: exact;
-webkit-filter: opacity (1);
}
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Post by Daniel Lemke »

The box shadow is not supported for PDF output. I put a ticket in just over three years ago and still haven't heard back. They gave me a case number (61877) but I am not sure if they ever turned it into an official feature request or not. I was new to their support system back then and didn't even know to ask about that.

I recommend entering a feature request with them. I will do the same, or ask if they made one out of my case back then. The more folks asking, the more likely they are to work this into a release.
Daniel Lemke
Propeller Head

Post by Daniel Lemke »

They did enter a feature request for me. The number is 89823. You can reference that if you contact support.