How to get chapters to start on the right (odd) page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Zanderxo
Propeller Head

How to get chapters to start on the right (odd) page

Post by Zanderxo »

I have a TOC with several "books" (we call them modules), each of which is designated as a chapter break.
The header in the HTML for each module is styled as <h1 class="module_title">My Title</h1>, and I have succeeded in getting the TOC and module pages to display auto-numbers using mc-auto-number-format:'CH:{chapnum}'; in the CSS for the h1.module_title element.
So far, so good.
Now, can someone enlighten me concerning how to get Flare to always start a new module (aka book) on the right-hand (odd-numbered) page in my PDF output?
I have a Page Layout designated for the modules that contains an empty page format, should one be necessary for the left (even) page.
Many thanks in advance.
Lydia
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: How to get chapters to start on the right (odd) page

Post by Lydia »

The page layout needs to have pages with right and left page type. You can use first left and first right, but that is optional.
Then you have to set the page type in the properties of the TOC entry. For each 'book' you open the properties, go to Printed Output tab and set the Page Layout and Page Type. Tip: It may be possible to set this for all 'books' at once. Try to select all books (not the topics inside there!) and then right-click and open properties.
Next thing is to open the target and make sure that on the Advanced tab "Inject empty pages as needed to ensure TOC nodes start on their selected pages" is checked. This is the new method to control empty pages. Before this was done in the TOC topic properties.
Can you give this a try?
Using Flare 10.2 and Flare 11 on Win 7
MCPBecker
Propeller Head

Post by MCPBecker »

I tried this. It doesn't work for my project. The chapter starts are simply continuous.
~M Becker
techwriter31
Propellus Maximus

Post by techwriter31 »

In the TOC Book print options, have you tried the 'Auto-end on Left page' option? When applied to the book node, I believe it should force each chapter to end on a left page and each subsequent chapter to begin on a right page. (We no longer use this feature as we've moved to a continuous page flow, but previously used it for this purpose.)

*Edit*: When using the Auto-end on Left option, we did not use the target option to inject empty pages, but my memory is fuzzy as to why we chose not to.
Kellie
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

techwriter31 wrote:*Edit*: When using the Auto-end on Left option, we did not use the target option to inject empty pages, but my memory is fuzzy as to why we chose not to.
Mine memory is fuzzy, too, but I think that the "Auto-end on Left" functionality predates the "Inject empty pages" functionality.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!