TOC Proxy Issue - Table of Contents is missing in PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
gcentrone
Jr. Propeller Head

TOC Proxy Issue - Table of Contents is missing in PDF

Post by gcentrone »

Apologies if this has already been posted, I had a look but couldn't find this specific issue. I have also raised it in the Flare Group on LinkedIn:

I successfully generate a PDF with its content and its displays the Table of Contents as a header only, and no entries.

For example, if I had 6 topics each with 10 topics, it generates my PDF correctly with all content, but the Table of Contents is three pages and only has 'Table of Contents' as a heading.

If I delete three topics, it generates the Table of Contents perfectly. It's like there is some kind of limit.

This is irrespective on whether I use TOC proxy in a dedicated topic, or use the check-box Generate TOC proxy. I have tested with different content and two different TOCs so I cannot pinpoint where the issue is.

The LinkedIn post has suggested that this is a bug, is this true?

:madcap: V12

Is there any other successful way of generating a TOC for PDF?
StraygoatWriting
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: TOC Proxy Issue - Table of Contents is missing in PDF

Post by StraygoatWriting »

Could you add a screen shot of what the output looks like in both cases? I don't usually work with PDFs, but I have been for the last few weeks and I've built tocs without any problems. The only things I can think of off the top of my head are:
  • The 'book' level topics are not set to start a new chapter. (I don't know whether this would result in a blank Toc, but it is something that might be wrong).
  • There is something wrong with the styles for the toc entries making it so that they don't appear. This seems unlikely as you say they display when you remove some topics...I'm guessing you remove the book level ones.
I've built a PDF with over 200 pages and 20 chapters, each containing 4-10 topics, so it can be done. Just need to figure out what is missing/wrong.
moshe
Propeller Head

Re: TOC Proxy Issue - Table of Contents is missing in PDF

Post by moshe »

I hope that this might be useful to someone:

I experienced something similar recently - in the process of cleaning up a complex project that I inherited which was produced from a large MSWord import, at one point the Table of Contents in PDF output produced only a title with no content. The TOC was simply blank. It is unclear why this suddenly happened.

I was able to produce the Table of Contents as follows:
  • 1. Add mc-heading-level to the header styles in the stylesheet (i.e., h1{mc-heading-level:1;} h2{mc-heading-level:2;}).
    2. In the project TOC, double-click the TOC topic, Auto-generate tab, and set: Action = Replace with Computed Entries, and Depth = 2.
Because of the imported structure of the project, I couldn't use the TOC depth to produce the heading levels in the Table of Contents (which is what I would have preferred to do).
Moshe Davis
Jerusalem, Israel