Mangled fonts in PDF output: how to fix?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ashtontreadway
Propeller Head

Mangled fonts in PDF output: how to fix?

Post by ashtontreadway »

Hi:

We're using Open Sans in our documentation, and I am having an issue that none of my coworkers can replicate. When I generate any PDF target for any of our products, I get output that looks like this:
font-trouble.PNG

It looks like somewhere in the generation process, the character spacing is getting mangled. I see this whether I use the target to generate output or if I use print-to-PDF on an actual topic file.

According to Acrobat, the Open Sans fonts are embedded in the PDF file. The Flare application is happily using the Open Sans fonts. Previewing a topic from Flare shows a correctly-rendered PDF.

My coworkers, using the same Flare version on the same Windows platform, are able to generate correct-looking PDFs from the same projects.

Here's what I've tried:
  • Removing Acrobat Reader
  • Installing Acrobat Pro
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Flare
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the Open Sans fonts
  • Forcing embedding of the entire Open Sans family in Acrobat settings
Any ideas what's causing this, and, more importantly, how I can fix it? I'm starting to get into "reinstall Windows" territory, which is just ridiculous.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ashtontreadway
Propeller Head

Re: Mangled fonts in PDF output: how to fix?

Post by ashtontreadway »

As it turns out, this is because of bad interaction between Windows 7's magnify feature and PDF generation:

http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare ... Output.htm

A bit of a roof pig, but that's Windows for you, I guess.
Jeanne_W
Propeller Head

Post by Jeanne_W »

For what it's worth, this also happened to me on Windows 10, and the steps in the link above resolved it. Not great since this means I need to change my display settings each time before I generate a PDF, but at least it's a solution.
EBergman
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by EBergman »

This happened to me as well. It started working when I moved to a new computer (both were running Windows 10).