Slideshows and PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Slideshows and PDF

Post by BedfordWriter »

Is there any way to take the content of a Flare slideshow and display it in a PDF document?

The default (so far as I can tell) is that the slideshow is simply omitted. Sort of makes sense because you wouldn't expect to see a dynamic element in a static page.
But, each slide in the slideshow is just a collection of text and images. Seems to me that there should be some way to collect the content of each slide and render them as a series of text boxes or the like.

I could do it manually, copying the content of each slide to its own div and applying a conditional for the output. But I'd have duplicated content, making updates harder. It would be better to automate this.

Any suggestions?
Cwestpha
Propeller Head

Re: Slideshows and PDF

Post by Cwestpha »

Conditionalize the parent slideshow element and the Slide elements selecting Unbind as the Exclude Action instead of Delete. This will leave whatever is inside each slide behind and they will appear in the output in the same order in which the slides elements appear in the xml. I just tried it out, it does work.
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

Sheesh! The things that hide in plain sight. Thank-you for pointing out that unbind feature to me - I've completely ignored it until now!
owilkes
Propeller Head

Post by owilkes »

Hi,

Found this post, thought 'aha! That's exactly what I need to know!' - except - I can't seem to change the exclude action - I right click, go to properties, toggle from Remove to Unbind, click OK and... nothing happens, it stays as remove.

Any idea what the xml syntax at least should be so I can edit through backend?

Thanks.
owilkes
Propeller Head

Post by owilkes »

Updating on my own post - it looks like this has been disabled by Madcap - I received this in an email:

'Slideshows are not supported in print-based output. The slideshow would need to be conditioned out of the print and the content inside of each slide would need to be placed below the slideshow. This new content would then need to have a condition tag set on it so that it does show in the print-based output. At the bottom of the link below, it tells of the "limitations" of the slideshow.

http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... eshows.htm'

Which is a shame, and doubles the amount of work that needs to be done. Hmph.
BedfordWriter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by BedfordWriter »

Just noticed owilkes' update, four months later. My first thought was rather uncharitable towards MadCap. But, I took the time to test the process before sending a request for them to put features back to where they belonged.

Using Flare 2017 r3, I created a new project using one of the Flare print target templates. Added a two-slide slideshow to the second page and made sure that each slide had a bit of text and an image.
Created a new condition, ExcludeFromPrint. Applied it to the slideshow as a whole, checking the Unbind option. Opened a pdf target and in the conditional text section told it to exclude my condition.

Still works for me. My slides became part of the page.