Page breaks before headings for pdf outpout

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
stevenmundy
Propeller Head

Page breaks before headings for pdf outpout

Post by stevenmundy »

Hi Everyone,
When I create a PDF target I wanted to obtain a page break before the heading at the top of a topic. Within Flare the heading at the top of each topic is h1.
So I set the style sheet up as follows:

Medium - printed
h1,
PrintSupport
page-break-before: always

The target is set to use TOC depth for heading levels.

If done for h1 didn't work in the pdf
if then done for h1, h2 and h3 this doesn't work either in the pdf.

Just to be clear, setting the above had no impact whatsoever on the pagnination in the resulting pdf.

Please can anyone advise? I am using PDF because output to word didn't work very well..
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Page breaks before headings for pdf outpout

Post by doc_guy »

Oh. That is a curious question. I've never really thought about it.

So your topics all start (in Flare) with an H1, but in your generated output, many of those are converted to H2 (or H3, etc.) depending on where they are in the TOC tree. And you want a page break before every H1 in the output (so just those ones at the top level of the PDF output)? Or do you want a page break before every topic, regardless of whatever heading it is assgined by the PDF-generated heading level? And then, if it is assigned to an H2, because of where it is in the TOC tree, you want a page break before that, but not before other H2's that are part of H1 topics? (Does that even make sense?)
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

janem
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Page breaks before headings for pdf outpout

Post by janem »

I've also got the same problem and was searching the forum for a solution. doc_guy's comment gave me the clue to fix it. Instead of defining h2.pagebreak, h3.pagebreak etc, I tried defining a generic class (eg called pagebreak) which I can assign to any html element (not just headings) that requires a page break before. It seems to have fixed my pagination problems.