Annotations not always displaying in PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Jen
Jr. Propeller Head

Annotations not always displaying in PDF

Post by Jen »

Hello!

We are experimenting with using annotations to track changes in a bid to keep the text as clean as possible, so that our SMEs find it easier to read.

This means that within a topic, there are now a number of annotations. Their length varies (sometimes a couple of words, sometimes an entire paragraph). They are sometimes against crossed out text (ie: where changes are tracked) and sometimes not.

The particular document I'm working on doesn't seem to be pulling all the annotations through into the pdf. For example, in one topic there are 6 annotations. The 1st, 3rd & 6th annotation are displayed in the pdf; the rest are missing. This seems to be irrespective of number of words (one of the missing annotations has two words in it). I do not think it's related to other tracked changes because I rewrote one that had previously been against crossed out text (I didn't just copy and paste) onto text that was not crossed out, and it still didn't display in the pdf.

I wondered if anyone else has seen this issue, or knows what I can do about it? The document is inherited, so we didn't set up the stylesheet - but a quick look at the CSS shows that the annotation style is the default.

Thanks,
Jen
kmacdowe
Propeller Head

Re: Annotations not always displaying in PDF

Post by kmacdowe »

I am experiencing that right now.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Annotations not always displaying in PDF

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

While annotations are a great idea, we take a more "caveman" approach, and have a generic style/condition .QUESTION which we apply to any questions we have. That style formats text in red bold so can't be missed! We also always start this kind of comment with "xxx" so reviewers can search for "xxx" to find our comments. It does mean that for safety's sake we have to exclude that condition in all our targets before we go to production, but it works for us. (Not so brilliant when looking at it in Central though, but doesn't sound like that's an issue for you.)

And just in case there's something suspicious about how your annotations have been included, take a look at the code in the topic that has some not showing and see if there's a difference between the ones that work and the ones that don't. That might help you work out why things are a bit screwy.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx