Master Page Not Applying to Word Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
ju_gee_bear
Jr. Propeller Head

Master Page Not Applying to Word Output

Post by ju_gee_bear »

I have a Master Page set up to add "Return to Top" links to the bottom of each topic. They are setup in both the web layout and print layout. When I build a HTML5 target with the developed Master Page selected it works fine, however when I try to build a word topic it does not show up.

In the Word Target I have General>Master Page Layout set to (default) and Advanced>Master Page set to the same Master Page that worked for the HTML5 build. Advanced>Disable Master Pages for MS Word output is not selected.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Even if it's a way to replicate the "Return to Top" link in a separate Page Layout instead; for the life of me I cannot figure out if Page Layouts have body proxies.
JesusDisciple
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Master Page Not Applying to Word Output

Post by JesusDisciple »

Take this with a grain of salt - I'm a total n00b...

But I think I just ran across this issue the other day, and the "Master Pages" are for web-only output.
I think you'll need to duplicate your "Master Page" as a "Page Layout", for print output.

The content explorer shows "Master Pages" and "Page Layouts" folders as different types of contents.

Sounds like the Menu you are viewing combined the terms into one: "Master Page Layout"
The menu does not seem to be clear whether that is a "Master Page" Layout, or a Master "Page Layout" .
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devans »

I don't know if this will be any help. In my Word target, I have a Master Page Layout set on the General tab which is in the \Resources\Page Layouts folder. When I go to the Advanced tab, the Master Page is set to Default. If I go to select a different master page, the only option is in the \Resources\Master Pages folder. So they are actually two different folders.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Just a note of caution here.

"Master pages" and "page layouts" are not the same, and the names are confusing, particularly when you can define a "master page layout"!

In general I only use "master page" for webby and helpy outputs (I create CHM in my projects), and I use "page layout" for printy outputs, like PDF and Word.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case there's a bit of confusion going on.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
ju_gee_bear
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ju_gee_bear »

Hi all, thanks for the input.

I'm aware that the Master Pages and Page Layouts are two separate things. I have both a custom Master Page and custom Page Layout, in the Master Page>Print Layout I was setting the Page Layout to my custom Page Layout; the reason for this being I want to have a "Return to Top" after the body proxy and after extensively searching this doesn't seem possible in a Page Layout; so any options of just using a Page Layout are out unless somebody knows how to put a body proxy in a Page Layout...

What I am hoping is somebody out there has successfully still been able to apply Master Pages to their PDF/Word builds and could share some enlightenment on what settings they used to ensure the Master Page was applying. MadCap states using Master Pages for print output is still possible.
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cdschroeder »

ju_gee_bear wrote: What I am hoping is somebody out there has successfully still been able to apply Master Pages to their PDF/Word builds and could share some enlightenment on what settings they used to ensure the Master Page was applying. MadCap states using Master Pages for print output is still possible.
You can apply a Master Page to a Word doc in the Advanced tab of the Target, as you mentioned you are already doing. Unfortunately, you can't apply Master Pages to PDFs. Personally, I use page layouts for both PDFs and Word docs. But here's a page with more info if needed: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... _Pages.htm
Casey