How to use master pages in Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
davidmcmurrey
Propeller Head

How to use master pages in Flare?

Post by davidmcmurrey »

I am at a loss. I know how to start creating a master page and what its extension looks like. So if I want to create a master page for footers, do I enter the text for the footer in the footer frame of the .flmsp? Nope: can only enter in the main text area. So I save that and it appears in the project, but how do I insert it?

I've looked at the PDF guide again and again but can't get the procedure
-- David
cdschroeder
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: How to use master pages in Flare?

Post by cdschroeder »

Hi David. So a master page will contain not just the footer, but a body proxy as well. The body proxy is a stand-in for your topic content. It basically tells your topics, "Here is the body of the text, then afterwards, add this nifty footer." So make sure your master page has a body proxy, then add the footer afterwards. Both the body proxy and the footer should fall within the body tag. Confusing? Yes. But not terrible after you get the hang of it.

Next, there are two different ways to apply the master page to your project. To apply the master page to all pages, open your target, click the Advanced tab, then use the Master Page drop-down to select your page. If you only want to apply it to certain topics, open the topic properties, click the Topic Properties tab, then use the Master Page drop-down to select your page.

Note that Master Pages really only work for web output. If you are looking to format print output, you'll want to use page layouts.
Casey

davidmcmurrey
Propeller Head

Re: How to use master pages in Flare?

Post by davidmcmurrey »

Thank you, cschroeder! I'll see if I can do this and if so make a video and post here. -- David