Page Numbering in Printed (PDF) Output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
John Laidlaw
Jr. Propeller Head

Page Numbering in Printed (PDF) Output

Post by John Laidlaw »

Hello!

I am creating a PDF for a customer who has specified page numbering to be in the form of Chapter-Page, with page numbering restarting at the beginning of each chapter. I have created the necessary footer in the page layout, and used the chapter and page system variables to produce the correct format on the pages.

The problem I run into is in the auto-generated table of contents. I've created a page to act as the table of contents, and used the MadCap:tocProxy element to generate the ToC in the print medium output, picking up just H1s and H2s. The format is header text, leader dots, then what should be chapter number-page number - try as I might, I cannot find a way for the chapter number to show anything other than "1", and the page numbering always starts with a "1".

I've used this in the mc-auto-number-format field of the MadCap xref style - {chapnum}-{page}

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I've searched through the forum repeatedly, but I suspect I'm searching using the wrong terms.

Many thanks!

John
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page Numbering in Printed (PDF) Output

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I know it works, because my docs do it (albeit just for my appendices, which I give page numbers A-n, B-n etc) , the question is can I remember how I set it up 7 years ago ...

Within the TOC for your target, in the Project folder, on the Printed Output tab you define Page Number as {chapnum}-{n} and Format as text and adjust Auto-numbers with each chapter to set the appropriate change of chapter number
Then p.TOC1 in the stylesheet doesn't need setting up with anything about the Page Number format (in my case it just has definitions for font style, box margins, mc-auto-number-position, mc-pagenum-display all, mc-leader-format and mc-leader-offset)

Hope that points you in the right direction
John Laidlaw
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by John Laidlaw »

Ah! That is a direction I had not tried - many thanks for the pointer and your time.

I shall post the results after I've fiddled around with the project. Thank you again!
John Laidlaw
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by John Laidlaw »

And it worked! Thank you!