Outputing individual Topics to PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
MCC_Training
Jr. Propeller Head

Outputing individual Topics to PDF

Post by MCC_Training »

I'm looking for a simple way to output individual topics from our user guide to PDF.

I figured out how to do it creating a separate TOC and target, but I feel like there should be an easier way.

Please advise.
carmonli
Propeller Head

Re: Outputing individual Topics to PDF

Post by carmonli »

For a quick and dirty PDF file of a topic, I just preview it as one of the PDF targets and then save it. But this won't give you correct headers and footers because there's no context (for example, the correct chapter or book name in a PDF header).
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

Could you create a condition called something like "OnceOff" and create a target that only includes that? You can still use the same TOC but only the one topic you want will hve the condition.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
JRtechw
Propeller Head

Post by JRtechw »

None that I know of. However, you could try:

1. Create a batch target so that if you want to create single PDFs for a bunch of topics, you only have to click once (after you've set up all your single-topic Targets).

2. There are primitive client-side Javascript libraries emerging for converting from HTML to PDF on the fly. If you publish to HTML5, your topics aren't crazy-complicated, and your JS is up to it, you could try writing a client-side function to print a topic to PDF from the published topics.

Cheers.