Page layout doesn't get applied to an individual page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
itauthor
Propeller Head

Page layout doesn't get applied to an individual page

Post by itauthor »

I have a Flare TOC for PDF output like this:
- Title page (this is a one-page PDF)
- Copyright page
- TOC proxy page (to insert the contents list)
- Link to another Flare TOC (to insert the actual topics)

Most of the book has the same running header and footer, but I want the copyright page to have neither. It's just a plain page containing copyright information.

I have tried multiple permutations of using page layouts to achieve this with no success. The copyright page always gets the same header and footer as the rest of the pages. Most of the book uses a "Normal" layout. I tried creating various types of layout ("First", "Left", "Empty") and associating these with the copyright page, with no effect. I assumed that all I had to do was create a page layout containing nothing but a body frame and then edit the properties of the copyright page entry in the Flare TOC, setting it to use the appropriate layout type.

I also tried creating a separate .flpgl file, with a "Normal" layout, without headers and footers, and then associating the copyright page with that. This didn't work either.

Help with this would be very welcome.
Thanks
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: Page layout doesn't get applied to an individual page

Post by paintedturtle »

itauthor wrote:I have a Flare TOC for PDF output like this:
- Title page (this is a one-page PDF)
- Copyright page
- TOC proxy page (to insert the contents list)
- Link to another Flare TOC (to insert the actual topics)

Most of the book has the same running header and footer, but I want the copyright page to have neither. It's just a plain page containing copyright information.

I have tried multiple permutations of using page layouts to achieve this with no success. The copyright page always gets the same header and footer as the rest of the pages. Most of the book uses a "Normal" layout. I tried creating various types of layout ("First", "Left", "Empty") and associating these with the copyright page, with no effect. I assumed that all I had to do was create a page layout containing nothing but a body frame and then edit the properties of the copyright page entry in the Flare TOC, setting it to use the appropriate layout type.

I also tried creating a separate .flpgl file, with a "Normal" layout, without headers and footers, and then associating the copyright page with that. This didn't work either.

Help with this would be very welcome.
Thanks
Hi itauthor,

You can set a different page layout in PDF to one individual topic. You can create a blank page with no header/footer (under Content > Resources > PageLayouts) and then apply it to that topic in the TOC. To apply separate page layouts, in the TOC, click on "View: Tree" and then select the topic. Select F4, then under Printed Output, select Break Type: Page Layout Break, then select the Page Layout (it will go to default automatically). When you output, your file will have the separate Page Layout you've chosen.

Hope that helps,
~Sarah
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
itauthor
Propeller Head

Post by itauthor »

Thank you Sarah. What you have described is exactly my understanding of how things *should* work. However, when I do this I still get a header and footer on that page, even though the page layout I have associated the topic with is a blank page with no header/footer.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

HAve you tried using "Chapter Break" rather than "Page Break"? If you do that you may need to mess about with your chapter numbering for genuine chapters, but I do that for all my (hundreds of) projects with no problems.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
itauthor
Propeller Head

Post by itauthor »

ChoccieMuffin wrote:HAve you tried using "Chapter Break" rather than "Page Break"? If you do that you may need to mess about with your chapter numbering for genuine chapters, but I do that for all my (hundreds of) projects with no problems.
And there it is! Thank you so much. That surely isn't how things are supposed to work. Nothing in the Flare documentation suggests this is what you have to do. That's got to be a bug.
But anyway, it works. So thank you.
Another Flare quirk worked around. :D
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Glad I could help. Actually, I didn't even know that PageLayoutBreak thing existed!!! :D
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx