Prevent PDF title page showing up in TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
itauthor
Propeller Head

Prevent PDF title page showing up in TOC

Post by itauthor »

I have a Flare TOC for PDF output whose first entry is itself a PDF. This gives me a nicely designed title page in the resulting PDF output from Flare. However, it also puts an entry for the title page into the table of contents in the PDF. I want the first entry in the output table of contents to be the first page of real content in the book. At the moment the entry in the output PDF uses the text I've given the entry in the Flare TOC file.

In Flare my TOC looks like this:

- title page PDF (a link to an existing PDF)
- copyright page
- TOC proxy
- WebHelp TOC (a link to another Flare TOC file)

Basically, I'm just reusing the existing WebHelp TOC and sticking a title page and copyright page in front of the table of contents in the PDF output.

It feels like what I need is a right-click option on the Flare TOC entry saying: "Don't include in output TOC". But, without such an option, how do I prevent an entry for the PDF title page showing up in the table of contents in the output PDF?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Prevent PDF title page showing up in TOC

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I had a similar situation several months ago and there is nothing you can do to define the style for a PDF that's included - it comes in as a bog-standard h1 and that's it.

To solve your problem, I have a different approach that works.

Create a separate page layout for your front cover.
Create a Front_Cover topic, to include the product name and other stuff you want. (I use variables so I can use the same topic for all my PDFs.)
In the TOC for your PDF, include the Front_Cover topic first, then your TOC topic, then your Webhelp TOC. If you use a different style for the PDF title in the Front_Cover topic, it won't show up in the TOC.

Hope that helps.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx