Page Numbers in PDF Output are off

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Christina
Propeller Head

Page Numbers in PDF Output are off

Post by Christina »

The page numbers in my PDF output are wonky. The first topic starts on page 9, and then, the next page is page 1.

The suggestion from Madcap was:

" 6) In the PDF the Overview shows up as page 9 and then again as page 1.

Remove the sub-level entry below WSA PC User Guide. "

But if I remove the entry below the WSA PC User Guide chapter, then I'm removing the topic, which doesn't solve the problem.

I went into somewhere in the TOC (not sure how I got there) and it showed that the WSA PC User Guide chapter, and the next two topics were marked as Start Section = False, and also, somehow tagged with a green color. I'm not sure how I managed to tag a section as False, or mark it with Green.....But might this have something to do with the misnumbering? And how do I change it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devans
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page Numbers in PDF Output are off

Post by devans »

Hi Christina, I'm not sure if this will solve your problem but you can change both of those things by right clicking on the topic and selecting Properties. The Printed Output tab has a Section Break area. Under the Conditional Test tab, you can untick whatever condition the green represents.
Christina
Propeller Head

Post by Christina »

Thank you for the tip. Alas, I'm not even sure what the settings should be to get the result that I would like. Should all Chapters have a Chapter break type? Should all topics have something else like a Page Layout break?

I never set any of these breaks, so I'm not sure how they got there!
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

If you scroll way over in that TOC grid view, you'll eventually find Page Number Reset, which controls whether the document keeps incrementing page numbers or starts over on a particular topic. Normally most TOC entries should not reset the page number, but this is what controls the resetting back to 1.

And normally most topics should not have a page layout break. In a typical manual this is used less often than a chapter break. You only use it when you have multiple page layouts within the same manual; this provides a way to switch between them. You would have a chapter break every chapter to increment the chapter number, assuming you have chapter numbers displayed somewhere. But you would typically only have a page layout break where you have an actual change in the layout, perhaps between the title page and the TOC, between the TOC/intro and first chapter, and between the last chapter and the index. In some manuals that have unusual content you might have page layout breaks within the body of the document around material that doesn't fit well in the usual layout and need special treatment, but this is not the norm (and you'd know about it).

I think the green shading in the TOC grid is used by Flare to indicate where you have chapter breaks. A much less noticeable tan color appears on page layout breaks. Topics without breaks show white.
Christina
Propeller Head

Post by Christina »

Thank you very much! The numbers are now in order, and start with 1 and go from there. I appreciate the handholding and the explanation.