Shared directory as output destination

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
andrew_s
Propeller Head

Shared directory as output destination

Post by andrew_s »

Hi, we are using Flare 12. We use one large project for all documents produced for our company. The project files are stored in a Google Drive directory, since it allows for version tracking, concurrent editing and easy syncing. I have created a template topic that is used for all new topics in the project. However, when publishing, I cannot figure out a way to publish to a Google Drive folder instead of my own personal folder as the destination setting. This is for both HTML and PDF (currently our only targets). Is there a way to do this, i.e. specify a URL instead of a folder for the destination? Many thanks.
Daniel Ferguson
Propeller Head

Re: Shared directory as output destination

Post by Daniel Ferguson »

Have a look at Google Drive File Stream. It allows you to map Google Drive as a drive on your computer. By default, it shows up as your G: drive. Once that's in place, you can select a folder in that drive as your publishing destination, and it will automatically update the files on the Google Drive server when you update them on your local drive.
Daniel Ferguson
Certified Flare Trainer & Consultant
smartoutput.com
andrew_s
Propeller Head

Post by andrew_s »

Thanks, Daniel, however that's not really what I mean. I was referring to what can I indicate in the publishing destination settings if the folder is located on a Google Drive location, i.e. it has a URL, not a local folder location? In other words, if I select a local folder on my machine as the destination for publishing HTML topic, it will always point to something like users\windows\[windowsusername]\flare\output (bad example but the key element is the [windowsusername]. THat will be MINE, however another user cannot publish to that same destination, but we use the same project files. Does that make any more sense?
dogsma
Propeller Head

Post by dogsma »

Does anyone have a solution to this? I am also looking for a way to publish from MadCap Flare to Google drive.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

dogsma wrote:Does anyone have a solution to this? I am also looking for a way to publish from MadCap Flare to Google drive.
You might need to drop Tech Support a line, if you don't get any responses from forum members.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

There was a suggestion above to use Google Drive File Stream which appears to do this - it's a different app to the standard Google Backup & Sync.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/749 ... ic=7455083
dogsma
Propeller Head

Post by dogsma »

Thanks all. I will see where I can go with this. Syncing would have been perfect for me and for user access to files but the concern on the part of some was that it would expose the rest of our files to security risks. I will see where I get with the Google Drive file stream suggestion. Thank you.