Generated PDF incorrect, content shifted on page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Generated PDF incorrect, content shifted on page

Post by Vibeke B »

I have worked with Flare for less than a year. I recently updated my company version from V11 to 2017 R3. Now I want to move our old project from a virtual machine with a UK setup and version V11 to my local machine with a Danish setup and the new 2017 R3 version of Flare. To make things even more difficult, I am starting to use the Coronado template. Many new things at once, so I really don’t know where to look to solve my problem. I suspect that the problem is caused by the regional settings of the computer.

My problem is when generating PDFs. I have imported 4 page layouts from the old project into the new project. When I open them in Flare, they look good, ie stay on the page and topic previews are good. But when I generate a PDF, the content is shifted down on the page as if there were a huge header. If I change my computer to UK or US settings, the display of the page layout or a preview of a topic in Flare is shifted, just like the pdf. So in short, the pdf produced is not like the preview of topics or the page layouts I can see in Flare.

Needless to say, the page layouts worked find in the old project on the old machine in the old version of Flare. I was not the one who created the old project, so I don’t know every corner of the old project.

Other information: Page layouts are all A4. Added images to illustrate my problem.

Any suggestions what to change or what to look for?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Generated PDF incorrect, content shifted on page

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Just a suggestion:

If I ever see an image displaced like that I would suspect that it is proving too big (maybe only by 1mm) for the page layout frame it is supposed to be in and popping up in the next one it can fit. That is something easily done if the paper size default was done in inches then moved to mm or similar, and this is an A4 image being placed in an exactly A4 frame. If there are several images that should go into one frame it can be down to a single stray carriage return or a tiny 300dpi image that is being rendered at 96dpi, which has pushed the main image out of that frame.

To move forward I would suggest you check exactly how the image is applied to the page.
Is it :
- directly in the page layout: a background image on the page (most stable solution if it is OK as an A4 96dpi image)? a background image on the body frame? or an image in its own image or decoration frame?
- sneaked into the page layout: in header or footer of the page layout, maybe as a snippet (an slightly unstable trick I have had to resort to once or twice to place a very intricate hi-res 300dpi A4 image)?
- in a topic (least stable solution for such a big image)?

If it is an image directly in the page layout I would check the page anchors (on the frame it is supposed to render in). Depending how these are set you can find a frame height or width auto-adjusting by a mm when you move the layout into a new computer set up. If you can still see the page layout on the old machine I would compare the numbers in the Frame Properties dialog one by one.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Re: Generated PDF incorrect, content shifted on page

Post by Vibeke B »

Thanks for your input! However, it was the entire page that was shifted, not just the image, and on all four page layouts. So I fixed it by making four new page layouts and copying over the items I needed.