Topics titles (h1eadings) in pdf are not following h1 format

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
medea
Propeller Head

Topics titles (h1eadings) in pdf are not following h1 format

Post by medea »

I created a project with H1 headings that have 18pt font and a border under each H1 heading. They appear fine in preview and in HTML5. They do not appear in PDF output, however. The type size drops to the Heading 2 type size and there is no border under the heading.

I remember one of the training videos pointing out that in the pdf output of a project the headings all dropped a level from the on-line output. This is the opposite of what I want. How do I turn that off/hack around it?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Topics titles (h1eadings) in pdf are not following h1 fo

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums! :)

From your description, I suspect that, in the PDF target, you're using the "TOC depth" feature (it's on the Target editor's Advanced tab), which instructs Flare to reassign heading styles based on the hierarchy of items on the target's associated TOC. (This feature is described here: http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... nt-TOC.htm.)

If you don't want Flare to reassign heading styles, turn that option off.

HTH, at least to point you in the right direction.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
medea
Propeller Head

Post by medea »

Ok, that almost worked. It made all of my H1 headings chapters.

I want a chapter that has several H1s in it, each H1 with a line under it. I'm doing structured writing/pseudo DITA, where I have collections of topics, each topic it's own file and level 1 heading.

I want a chapter "User Scenarios" with each scenario an H1.

I tried making my chapter titles a tag different from H1, but that only prevented them from appearing in my TOC.

I want the nesting in the TOC as I have it designed in the TOC editor, which is:

But I want the formatting preserved as designed. I have h1 in print media set to have a border under the H1
User Scenarios
Scenario 1
Scenario 2

And then in the body of the doc have the heading format appear as I designed it:

Scenario 1
-----------------------------------------------
medea
Propeller Head

Post by medea »

If "following the TOC levels" is set, and I set my h2s in the @media print part of the .css to the size and border type that I want an H1 to be, will that create the output that I want?
medea
Propeller Head

Post by medea »

Ok, now that I get what the advanced setting on targets is doing, I set my H1 and H2 headings in the @media print to have a border underneath and the correct font size. That seems to create the output that I want.