Hyperlinks/Cross-references

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Hyperlinks/Cross-references

Post by Vibeke B »

I have a Flare project that will produce six PDF manuals and an online help that consists of all the six manuals. I want to insert hyperlinks to topics in other PDFs. While this will work in the online help, it will not work in the PDFs.
Is there a workaround e.g. when I produce a PDF, links to topics outside the PDF are ignored?
Would it be better to use cross-references? (Not sure I understand the difference.)

-Vibeke
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Hyperlinks/Cross-references

Post by devjoe »

Define a "screen only" conditional tag and exclude it from the PDF targets. Apply this to the links. Depending on how the links are written, you may be able to apply it directly on the A tags and tell Flare to unbind the tags when the condition is excluded (so the text will still appear in the PDF, without a link). You may instead remove whole sentences if you don't want there to be a reference to the other document in the PDF, and you can create a print only condition to apply to alternative text, only appearing in the PDFs, if desired.
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Re: Hyperlinks/Cross-references

Post by Vibeke B »

Hi, and thanks for your reply. This is precisely what I want: to have text will appear in the PDF but without the link. I tried adding a condition to the text but that just eliminated the text from the pdf. How do I, as you say, "apply it directly on the A tags and tell Flare to unbind the tags when the condition is excluded"? I have just inserted hyperlinks and when I edit them, I don't see anything related to this in the dialog. I am not good at working in the Text Editor, but when I look here, I just see the href link and the condition. I think I need more specific help. :( :roll:

UPDATE: I just figured out what you mean by unbind - it works!! :D :lol:

Thank you so much!