Cover page for PDF

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
MarkJ
Propeller Head

Cover page for PDF

Post by MarkJ »

Hi,

I have been using Flare for a while now but only recently had a requirement to output my projects as PDF files.

I have been trying to include a cover page for the pdf but I am coming across many hurdles. I started my quest by following the instructions here:

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/blog/201 ... df-output/

I kind of get the idea but there are a couple of problems.

1. When I add an image to the cover page (as per the instructions) when I build, the image appears on every single page in the document. When I just use text for the cover page its OK so obviously something is not right with how I am setting the image up. However, I can't fathom it out.

2. When building the pdf it includes a (TOC) which offers page numbers but the actual pagers are not numbered. This makes the "TOC" pretty much useless if our customers print off the PDF.

3. The TOC has many, many breaks meaning only a couple of TOC entries appear on each page. This creates a document 400 pages long when it only needs to be 200 for example.

4. Is there any way I can get rid of the TOC in the pdf pages (1) but keep the TOC Window (2).

Many thanks

Mark
MarkJ
Propeller Head

Re: Cover page for PDF

Post by MarkJ »

Hi,

I have managed to gain a little more understanding since I posted the above

Point 1 - Is still a problem

Point 2 - I have figured out how to insert page numbers but am yet to see it work so I will keep plodding on

Point 3 - This only seems to happen if I create a cover page using an image. If I use just Text on the cover page, the TOC appears OK apart from the abbreviation "TOC". I want to change that to "Table of Contents".

Point 4 - No longer a problem, I now understand how it works.

Thanks

Mark
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

In the instructions in the article you linked, it mentions to create a page layout break on the TOC entry for your title page to reference the new, title-page-only page layout, but it never says to do anything to go back to your regular page layout. So what I think is happening is that you are getting the title page layout applied to all your topics. Try putting a page layout break on the topic after your title page to set the page layout back to the one you normally use.

To customize the print table of contents, you need to create a topic with a TOC proxy element. By default, if Generate TOC proxy is checked on the Advanced tab of your PDF target, then Flare will create one for you if you do not have one, and this is probably what you are seeing. When you create your own, Flare uses it instead. Generally, this topic should contain the heading you want and the TOC proxy element (which you can find on the Insert tab of the ribbon under Proxy at the far right). Be sure to sequence it in the Flare TOC used to define the print document. And if you want to get rid of this TOC entirely, just clear that checkbox without creating a topic with a TOC proxy element.
MarkJ
Propeller Head

Post by MarkJ »

Thanks very much for this.

I'm currently having a very bad day. My hard drive just died and I can't install MadCap Flare on my new drive due to a licence issue. As soon as I am sorted I will go in and have a look at your recommendations.

In the meantime, thanks for responding, its very much appreciated.

Regards

Mark
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

MarkJ wrote: 1. When I add an image to the cover page (as per the instructions) when I build, the image appears on every single page in the document. When I just use text for the cover page its OK so obviously something is not right with how I am setting the image up. However, I can't fathom it out.
In your page layout document, you need to have more than one page. One page is type "Title." On this page, put your cover image. Depending on if you are doing a two-page layout or a single page layout, you'll add additional pages here. On these pages you'll put header or footer frames where you can insert page number variables. Then, as has been stated by others, you need to apply the page layout page type "Title" to the first topic in your TOC. Then on the next topic in the TOC, you need to have a frame break (or a chapter break), and then you need to tell it to start on a left/right/normal page.
MarkJ wrote: 2. When building the pdf it includes a (TOC) which offers page numbers but the actual pagers are not numbered. This makes the "TOC" pretty much useless if our customers print off the PDF.
This should be answered by the my previous comment to include page number variables in footer frames on the left/right or normal pages on your page layout document.
MarkJ wrote: 3. The TOC has many, many breaks meaning only a couple of TOC entries appear on each page. This creates a document 400 pages long when it only needs to be 200 for example.
Check the print section of your style sheet for "page-break-before" and "page-break-after" statements. Often H1s are set to page-break-before:always, which means every H1 will appear on a new page.
MarkJ wrote: 4. Is there any way I can get rid of the TOC in the pdf pages (1) but keep the TOC Window (2).
If you don't include a TOC proxy, and you uncheck the Generate TOC proxy option in the target (Target settings > Advanced tab > Output Options section), then it shouldn't generate a TOC in the PDF file, But I think a PDF-outline will still appear, though I don't know that one for sure.
MarkJ wrote: Image
That image didn't work for me, so I'm not sure what you wanted to show there.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

MarkJ
Propeller Head

Post by MarkJ »

I'm now happy with my pdf output.

Thanks very much indeed!