Link to zip file from PDF output does not work

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Finner
Propeller Head

Link to zip file from PDF output does not work

Post by Finner »

I am trying to link to a zip file that exists within my Flare project, from a PDF output. In the project, I create a link to the zip file, but when I view the PDF output and click the link, it says "Could not open the file." Does anyone know why this is happening?
jjw
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Link to zip file from PDF output does not work

Post by jjw »

I have the same problem with Word output - Flare renders the link to a document anywhere in the local file structure incorrectly. In particular, I find that it consistently puts one too many levels in the link - for example, if the link should be "../mydoc.doc", Flare will render it as "../../mydoc.doc". I "solve" the problem by editing the output. This has been a problem since the 2017 versions and is still there in 2018.

I did report the bug, but MadCap could not replicate it.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

If you can recreate it in a sample project send that to MadCap.
Finner
Propeller Head

Post by Finner »

jjw, where do you put your mydoc.doc file, and what is your link to it? I put the zip files in the subfolder under "Content" where I have all my topic files; the link is just the zip file name. Should I be putting the zip files somewhere else?
jjw
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by jjw »

Finner wrote:jjw, where do you put your mydoc.doc file, and what is your link to it? I put the zip files in the subfolder under "Content" where I have all my topic files; the link is just the zip file name. Should I be putting the zip files somewhere else?
I have a variety of Word documents that I put in a different project folders (usually in an Appendices folder under Resources) and then link to in Word output. The error in the link is consistent (which at least makes it easy to fix) - it's a relative link with an extra folder level. I haven't found a workaround.

Julia