How to disable line breaks for simple copy & paste operation

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

How to disable line breaks for simple copy & paste operation

Post by tpmtpm56 »

In our doc we sometimes provide specific command strings that can be very long. In Flare we enter the string as it should be executed, for example:

Code: Select all

patchSoftware --oraHome=/opt/mycompany/oracle/oracle/product/12.1.0.2/dbhome_1 --patch=/mnt/oradistro/embed/12102/Linux/patches/vdboraclepatches.xml
We want our customers to be able to simply cut and paste these strings directly from our HTML or PDF output into their environment, without the need to remove artificially inserted paragraph/line breaks, or add or remove spaces.

This is possible from our HTML output: when cut/copied, such strings do not contain line breaks, spaces, etc.
This is not possible from our PDF output: when cut/copied the user has to remove line breaks, get rid of spaces, etc.

Do I understand correctly that this is related to Flare help topic "Determining Wrap Behavior on Line Breaks Using Styles"?
Or is this a PDF issue?
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How to disable line breaks for simple copy & paste opera

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I can't answer your question, but you are not the only person to experience this annoying behaviour in PDFs, I've seen quite a few questions about this in the last few months. (I'm rubbish at searching for stuff, hopefully others will be along with possible results, as most unhelpfully I can't remember if they found a resolution or not!)

I've just had a look at that help topic and it's not going to help, as it deals with online output rather than PDF output.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx