One TOC per page size? - PDF output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
IFU
Propeller Head

One TOC per page size? - PDF output

Post by IFU »

I need to create two PDF files from my Flare project: one where page size is A4 and the other one where page size is “Letter”. Does this mean that I need two separate TOCs, one associated with the A4 page layout files and the other associated with the Letter page layout files? Is there a way of using a single TOC so that I don’t have to worry about forgetting to modify a TOC when I change the other? Thanks. Isabelle
carmonli
Propeller Head

Re: One TOC per page size? - PDF output

Post by carmonli »

You don't need two separate TOCs, but you will need two separate targets. Each target would use the appropriately sized page layouts, but they could point to the same TOC.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

carmonli wrote:You don't need two separate TOCs, but you will need two separate targets. Each target would use the appropriately sized page layouts, but they could point to the same TOC.
I don’t think that is quite right. It will all depend on how complex the document to be generated is and whether or not chapter breaks come into play. For instance, if the document is pretty simple and chapter breaks aren’t needed, then, yes, one might get away with having just one TOC and letting each target dictate which page layout to use by default. But for more complex documents, where one needs to set chapter breaks with, say, a First Right page, there isn’t a way to specify the A4 layout or the letter layout just by virtue of the target. One has to specify which page layout to use by way of TOC properties. And for traditional book-style documents, one might need to call several different page layouts over the course of the document: front matter, chapters, appendixes, glossary, index, and so forth. That kind of complexity cannot be set in the target, but only on individual TOC items.

In short, to answer the question, it all depends...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
carmonli
Propeller Head

Post by carmonli »

Nita, you're absolutely right, of course. Not every company has as simple a setup as mine does.
IFU
Propeller Head

Post by IFU »

Thanks - unfortunately, my document falls in the complex category. So two TOCs for me.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

You might be able to get away with having subTOCs that hold the guts of each chapter, but not the first topic in each chapter. You can then pull each subTOC in under its parent chapter in each of the two TOCs. That way, you have only one set of subTOCs but two "full" TOCs. A chapter's subTOC entries will inherit the page layout that you've associated with its parent chapter topic.

If you do use this method, be sure to set the TOC properties on each subTOC entry in the two "full" TOCs to REPLACE the subTOC when merging. You'll find the settings on the TOC Properties window's Advanced tab.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!