PDF Output: Kerning/Letter Spacing Issues

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
yossikarp
Propeller Head

PDF Output: Kerning/Letter Spacing Issues

Post by yossikarp »

Hi Everyone.

I have a project that uses the Balboa template, which only came with an HTML5 target. I added a PDF target. The problem is that the fonts in the PDF are without kerning and so there is inconsistent space between characters, and it looks really odd. One of the things I tried was replacing the fonts.

I'm using Flare 12 on Windows 10.

I already tried the following:
  • * I checked the PDF properties and it substituted "Arial" for "ArialMT". I changed the font to something else - the font changed, but the letter spacing issues remain
  • * Set white-space to nowrap - no change
  • * set letter-spacing to 0 - no change
  • * set letter-spacing to -1 - no change
  • * set line-height to 0 - no change
  • * changed the first topic to UTF-16, just to see what happens - no change
  • * Installed Foxit Reader to test if Acrobat is causing the issue - no difference
  • * Changed the PDF magnification - no difference
I've attached a small section of the PDF so that you can get an idea of the problem.

Any help that you can give would be great - I'm pulling my hair out trying to make this work...

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF Output: Kerning/Letter Spacing Issues

Post by Nita Beck »

I have seen this issue when one has set the computer's text size to something other than 100%. I don't know why there is an interaction between that system setting and Flare, but I've resolved the issue by setting my computer's text size to 100%. This issue predates Flare 12, BTW. Can't say how far back, but it's been around for a while.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
yossikarp
Propeller Head

Re: PDF Output: Kerning/Letter Spacing Issues

Post by yossikarp »

OMG, you're right! That was it. After changing the text settings to 100% I had to sign out of Windows and then back in again - and it worked.

Thank you so much.