PDF output: A few nits

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

PDF output: A few nits

Post by chuck_agari »

I have my PDF output nearly the way I wanted it. I finally learned that the best way to put title and contents pages nicely was to create a separate page layout.

But a couple of things I can't figure out.

ON the title page, one of the longer words in the title keep hyphenating. I have the style in the CSS--in the media: print section no less--very explicit about this:

p.ManualTitle2
{
color: #f68d39;
font-family: 'Open Sans';
font-size: 24pt;
font-weight: 700;
line-height: 0;
margin-top: 0.5in;
margin-bottom: 0.25;
margin-left: 0.5in;
margin-right: 0.5in;
margin-top: 0;
hyphens: none;
}

I'm wondering if it's because the title is entirely a variable. Do I have to workaround this by not using a variable?

In the header frame of the normal page layout, which I'm using for most of the body pages, I used the one from the left page. It has a chapter variable on the left. What I'd like to do is have the heading that was used in the chapter on the right. But I can't figure out how to left align the chapter number and right align the chapter title content, all on the same line. I tried splitting the header into 2 columns, but I couldn't figure out how to make that work. I thought I read something about inserting a table, but I see no way to do that in the text editor of the header. Any guidance?

Finally, the page number seems to be a little bit off center in the footer. When I added the "normal" page, its default was a left (or right, I forget) page with asymmetric margins. I changed the page margins and dragged the header and footer frames to resize them and match the body frame margins. In the footer's case, I extended the right side by 0.5in, and it looks like the centered page number got dragged over just a bit too. In the frame properties, the text alignment is center, and when I edit the frame text, it looks like there are no extraneous characters around the page number variable. Any suggestions?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: PDF output: A few nits

Post by Nita Beck »

For the first issue, use mc-hyphenate: never;

I need to think harder about the other issues when I have more time. (Sorry)
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by chuck_agari »

Nita Beck wrote:For the first issue, use mc-hyphenate: never;
This worked, but I wonder why I need the non-standard, MadCap-specific code in my CSS? Why does Flare not honor the "proper" CSS that is supposed to do the same thing?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

chuck_agari wrote:
This worked, but I wonder why I need the non-standard, MadCap-specific code in my CSS? Why does Flare not honor the "proper" CSS that is supposed to do the same thing?
It might be a pdf thing that Adobe doesn't support. But only Madcap and Adobe would know.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

The way to go with your header is using a table.
Here is an example from one of my footers.
footer%20example.png
Use f2 to see your header frame contents box
You can then use the Table tab from the application as normal, and pick Insert Table, choosing 1 row x 2 cols. Set the table width to 100%
In my left page example: I have the Chapter number and name in the left cell, wrapped in a p.footer style defined in css to justify left, and a page number in the right cell, wrapped in a p.footer-right style defined in css to justify right. My right page is then set up with them the other way around.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.