Flare vs InDesign for high quality printed output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Flare vs InDesign for high quality printed output

Post by Isleofgough »

I realize Flare is much better than InDesign or Framemaker for creating multiple targets, including multiple pdf outputs. For a longer book with lots of graphics, the reflow features of Flare make it much easier to create than in InDesign. However, I was wondering if one can get an equivalent output if the intended use is professional print output. Is there a way of specifying if the color space is RGB vs CMYK? Will the multiline composition be equivalent from in InDesign? Can one create printer crop and bleeds? I realize that for certain types of books, where layers and transparency gradients, etc are used, that InDesign rules, but has anyone used Flare for primary printed book output?
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare vs InDesign for high quality printed output

Post by ajturnersurrey »

I have happily created marketing leaflets and datasheets for first-rate professional printing from Flare.
Settings on your target will 'Convert RGB colors to CMYK' and 'Add crop and registration marks'. You can have layouts where images bleed over edges.
My preference for Flare in these cases was down to using single sourcing text content shared with other documents.

Transparency gradients and very high resolution images might give you problems in Flare. They are at the edge of its capabilities.
My preference for a graphics-led, one off document would be InDesign - especially after I learned, in a training course last year, it had better text reflow features than I had previously realised.
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

Thank you for your reply. I have a book maintained in InDesign, Framemaker, and Flare that needs two different page sized pdf’s, an ePub, and a small pdf for emailing. As it is getting longer, using a rule based program like Flare (or structured Framemaker) is easier than in InDesign - but I want to make sure I am not giving up too much by just using Flare. Obviously editing in just one program is vastly preferable.
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

One other issue I encountered, which is probably more of a css than Flare issue: how does one specify “keep with” options to prevent page breaks that move a single line of a paragraph to the next page? I know this is possible with Framemaker, and maybe that is a better choice if the targets are just pdf, word, and ePub outputs.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I don't know if it translates to Flare's pdf output, but the css equivalent are widows and orphans properties. I haven't used them so can't offer any guidance on usage.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/widows

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... SS/orphans

* sorry, not exactly "equivalent" but similar for the purpose of a single paragraph splitting across a page break. The other properties to check out are page-break-before, page-break-after and page-break-inside.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Isleofgough wrote:One other issue I encountered, which is probably more of a css than Flare issue: how does one specify “keep with” options to prevent page breaks that move a single line of a paragraph to the next page? I know this is possible with Framemaker, and maybe that is a better choice if the targets are just pdf, word, and ePub outputs.
I have a few generic styles in my stylesheet for that kind of thing, and I apply them as needed. (It's easier than just applying them as an inline style.)

Code: Select all

.KeepWithNext
	{
		page-break-after: avoid;
		page-break-before: auto;
		page-break-inside: auto;
		column-break-after: auto;
	}

.KeepWithPrevious
	{
		page-break-after: auto;
		page-break-before: avoid;
	}

.KeepTogether
	{
		page-break-inside: avoid;
		column-break-after: avoid;
	}

.PageBreakBefore
	{
		page-break-before: always;
	}

.AllowBreakInside
	{
	}

Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Post by Isleofgough »

I am very greatful for both the widows/orphans and keep with code. I will try these out. I am much more familiar with unstructured and structured Framemaker and with InDesign than Flare. But I am impressed with the power of Flare. InDesign has great color management, image handling, and typography and creates surprisingly good epub outputs - but it can be quite annoying for long books, lacking both stability and features. Since Flare keeps files as XHTML, I was not sure if this is best for printed output. Theoretically it should be far better for web and ePub targets, including mobi than either Adobe product, but neither Adobe software allows multiple options for a particular type of output (like pdf) unlike Flare.

I see O’Reilly publishing has switched to an XHTML CSS workflow for both print and digital delivery, so it must be possible.