Different layout for first page of each chapter?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
jenniferf
Jr. Propeller Head

Different layout for first page of each chapter?

Post by jenniferf »

Hi everyone,

I would like create PDFs where the first page of each chapter has a different layout than the other pages. I am trying to put a small graphic in the header of the first page in each chapter, and then have the chapter number just below the graphic. Can anyone help me with some advice about how to do this, and then have my usual left/right page layouts apply to all the other pages?

Thanks,
Jennifer
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Different layout for first page of each chapter?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

A pretty straightforward question, actually.

You do this in two stages:
1. To the page layout that you want to use, add a "First" page that has the layout you want, with your graphic etc.
2. In the TOC, right-click the topic that starts the chapter and on the menu click Properties.
3. On the Printed Output tab in the Break Type list click Chapter Break, in the Page Layout list click the required page layout, and in the Page Type list click First.

Generate your target and see how lovely your output is!
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
dhvied
Propeller Head

Re: Different layout for first page of each chapter?

Post by dhvied »

I tried this for my Index pages. My intent was to have the first page look different (but two columns), and the rest be left-right, two-column index pages. I got the first page throughout. There must be a way to tell it to use left-right pages after the first page.

Edit: Never mind. I discovered my error. I needed to have a first page, left, and right page in the same layout page file.