Page Layout: Repeat Image on Left page, Long Table on Right

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
dle
Propeller Head

Page Layout: Repeat Image on Left page, Long Table on Right

Post by dle »

Hi, I couldn't really find a solution to this so I'm coming to you.

I'm creating a parts list document that will have the left hand page show an image (with numbers) and the corresponding right hand page with a table of list of items (corresponding to the image in the left). The list can be very long, so the image should repeat itself until the end of the list.
In that same document, another image is shown on the left, and yadda yadda the items are on the right.

Left Page | Right Page
IMG 1.....| List 1 start

Left Page | Right Page
IMG 1.....| List 1 cont

Left Page | Right Page
IMG 1.....| List 1 end

Left Page | Right Page
IMG 2.....| List 2

and so forth

How would I go about doing this in Flare?

--

Normally, I would be able to use a two page layout in Indesign and just link text frames along the right page for text, and image frames on the left. But I'm making the switch to Flare.
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Page Layout: Repeat Image on Left page, Long Table on Ri

Post by ajturnersurrey »

This is something at the edge of Flare's capability. (There are a few things I would choose InDesign for... despite 8 years using Flare as my main, and sometimes only, tool.)

The only way I can think of doing it is to have:

- Each list in a separate topic
- A page layout set up for each different repeating image option (layout_img_A, layout_img_B, layout_img_C). The layout would have a left page with the image but NO content area, so that text from the topic will only flow on the right page.
- Set each table topic in the TOC to use the relevant page layout for that topic only, starting on the left page.
- Target not inserting any blank pages (to end on left) because you want to end these tables with a right and start the next table on the next left.

Did you come up with anything different?
dle
Propeller Head

Post by dle »

ajturnersurrey wrote:This is something at the edge of Flare's capability. (There are a few things I would choose InDesign for... despite 8 years using Flare as my main, and sometimes only, tool.)

The only way I can think of doing it is to have:

- Each list in a separate topic
- A page layout set up for each different repeating image option (layout_img_A, layout_img_B, layout_img_C). The layout would have a left page with the image but NO content area, so that text from the topic will only flow on the right page.
- Set each table topic in the TOC to use the relevant page layout for that topic only, starting on the left page.
- Target not inserting any blank pages (to end on left) because you want to end these tables with a right and start the next table on the next left.

Did you come up with anything different?

I still haven't been able to find a solution to this.

The only other thing I can think of is... well, you know how the Madcap html file will have a <body> tag? And that <body> tag gets inserted into the ~body~ frame of a page layout? If I created another container tag in the page layout called ~repeating image~ (or something), and perhaps make the page layout 17x11 in., then I can just put a background-image in the <repeating image> tag inside the HTML file. Then, in the TOC, I can put each list into a separate topic, each with the new page layout. After that, just change the print settings?

What do you think? Is that possible?
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by ajturnersurrey »

Nice idea - I don't think it is going to work, but by all means prove me wrong.
My experience with page layouts has been that they can't be relied upon to pick up changes to image files they are linked to in an ordinary way, whether included as background images or snippets in frames. (You have to go through pasting or linking the image back in to refresh it if it ever changes). So I can't see this sort of dynamic link from a page layout working. I think each image needs to live permanently in a particular page layout in order to interrupt a table like that.