UPDATE: Intermittent glossary formatting in pdf output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
fheathcote
Jr. Propeller Head

UPDATE: Intermittent glossary formatting in pdf output

Post by fheathcote »

I'm having an issue with my print targets and glossary formatting. This is an intermittent problem and it's driving me crazy. Let me explain…

I have a different page layout for my glossary than for my content pages. I've configured the glossary topic in the TOC to use this glossary page layout. Sometimes all is well and the glossary gets formatted correctly when I build the pdf. Other times it doesn't. (And most of the time I haven't changed anything - other than I've closed Flare and opened it again)

I've tried:
• adding this a page layout break rather than a chapter break - neither of these work consistently.
• building a new TOC in case there's something broken in my existing TOC. This works well, until it doesn't.
• building a new Target, in case I've mis-configure that some how. It works with a vanilla target (just changed the Master TOC) but as soon as I start changing the Target configuration, for example setting the conditional flags, the glossary formatting stops working.
• cleaning the target after a 'failed' build. This some times fixes the problem, but not always. Or it will fix it for one target, at which point another target breaks.

This issue affects all my pdf targets/TOCs. :(

Is there something I'm missing?

Fi

Update: I've figured out what was actually causing this issue and some of the other issues that I've seen lately, for example when creating snippets, and generally poor performance of Flare - extremely slow to respond to mouse clicks, text insertion etc.

I'm running Flare on my Mac using a VM. When I bound my project to source control, for reasons that I forget now, I decided to put my local repo in a folder that was created on my Mac and shared to the VM. Having just relocated this folder to the C: drive on my VM, not only am I getting consistent results when I build my pdfs but the performance has improved massively. I suspect that some of the other issues I've seem will also go away now.