New chap start on same page without losing autonumber?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

New chap start on same page without losing autonumber?

Post by mattf »

Hi,
PDF Output.
We're trying to have our chapters NOT start on a new page (customer request aimed at cutting down on wasted white space). We can use the Properties dialog for each chapter in the TOC to specify no chapter break and tickety-boo, one chapter follows after the next on the same page. But the chapter auto-numbering is then messed up. We tried changing the H1 style (in print medium, yes) so that page breaks before are avoided, but the output did not honor this request. Flare's very helpful PDFs explaining page layouts go into great detail about how to make particular flow scenarios, every scenario except this one. Also none of Flare's own documentation uses this method. We figure they don't like it and maybe they don't allow it. Has anybody tried this successfully?

Thanks,
-mdf
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: New chap start on same page without losing autonumber?

Post by Psider »

This sounds like the same issue you're having. If you're using {chapnum} then it sounds like you need to use Chapter Break as that's what defines the number change. And it doesn't sound like there's a way to configure how that break appears. (Although the post is few years old.)

Would the discussed alternative work for you?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17122
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Apology in advance for what will be a very brief response, just a kernel of an idea, to follow on the previous reply.

If you craft your auto-numbering scheme to not use {chapnum} but just {n+} then you can probably make it work. You won’t need to use chapter breaks applied to TOC items. There may be unintended consequences, though, depending on how you have crafted figure and table title numbering and how you have crafted page numbering. You are likely to have to come up with new auto-numbering for those, too.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by mattf »

PSider and Nita,
Thanks for these responses. Yes, PSider, that was my issue, and I've flagged that post. There's a lot there and it's the end of my day, so I need to rest my eyes before I wade into that solution. Nita, thanks for jumping in. I'm a bit leery of the other ramifications you hint at. For one thing, we're using Table 1-1, Table 1-2, Table 2-1, etc for captions, same for figures, and I have no doubt that these and other things might go sideways if I ditch the {chapnum} method. I'll have a look tomorrow with fresher eyes.
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.