Cannot build Word target

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Finner
Propeller Head

Cannot build Word target

Post by Finner »

I posted back in July about this issue, and it still has not been solved. My product includes 4 Flare projects (documents). I publish both online and PDF targets, and use Word targets for my reviewers. Last summer, out of nowhere, 2 of the projects stopped publishing Word targets. The failure occurs after "Saving Word output." The message ID is 10086, and the Error text is "Build failed: Export to doc failed. Conversion to doc can be done manually on the XML file located at..."

I have tried removing all but one topic, and I still get the error message. More importantly, when I zip the project and send it to a coworker, she is able to build the Word file with no error! I am at a loss as to what to do. I tried saving the resulting XML file as a Word file, but the images are not included.

Does anyone have a suggestion? It seems the problem must be elsewhere than in Flare, since some of my projects DO built Word targets.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: Cannot build Word target

Post by Psider »

This thread suggests a problem with Win 10/Office 2016 and an general Flare setting needing to be unticked. The implication is that no projects would generate Word docs, but it can't hurt to check, given no other responses to your posts.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27598
Finner
Propeller Head

Post by Finner »

Thank you, psider. How do I get to the "Import/Export Word files without MS Office" option?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

The second last post in that thread suggest File > Options > General, but I don't currently have a copy of Flare, so can't say for sure.
Finner
Propeller Head

Post by Finner »

Thank you, thank you, psider! After I went to File > Options and unchecked Import/Export Word Files Without MS Office, I was able to print out Word targets again!
Mishou6779
Propeller Head

Post by Mishou6779 »

Wow, man, I think I've hit just about every single reason why Flare won't generate Word documents now. And with the exception of one incident this past spring, I found the fix here in the Flare forums.

I got a new laptop, and reinstalled Flare, and this issue came up. Luckily, I found this thread and selecting that check box in the Import/Export Word Files Without MS Office field at File | Options totally did the trick.