Newbie getting killed by an unwanted PDF page break

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Newbie getting killed by an unwanted PDF page break

Post by LarryCarey »

Hello all,
Yes, I'm a newb to Flare - I came over from Framemaker recently and am excited to be here!
I'm having trouble with a single unwanted empty page that shows up when I generate a PDF. I realize that the topic of unwanted empty pages has been addressed here in the forum before, but I haven't found a solution after spending too much time trying to figure this one out.
Here's the situation: I am getting a "blank" page before the first page, in the first section that follows the Table of Contents. It is blank in terms of content, but it does show the header and footer. In other words, immediately following the TOC is a blank page numbered "1", then the content actually starts at the top of page "2". These page numbers are represented in the TOC as well as on the pages themselves (my first section is called "OVERVIEW", and the TOC indicated that it begins on page "2" (rather than "1").
I have checked page break settings everywhere I have found them, but I don't see that I have Page-Break-Before: Always set anywhere. In fact at this point I have set all Page Break settings to Avoid for H1.
I'm confused because it is only the first section that is getting the mystery blank page inserted in front of the first page. I've got a dozen sections that follow, all of which start with the same "H1" and all using the same Stylesheet and Page Layout, and they all seem to work fine.
Please be kind to your local newbie, you were a beginner once too! Thanks in advance...
:?
-lc
ajturnersurrey
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Newbie getting killed by an unwanted PDF page break

Post by ajturnersurrey »

The only thing that comes to mind is that you have either:
(a) not added a body frame on that first page layout that is called up for chapter 1, or
(b) got content that is too large for the body frame. (This might happen if your styles are insisting that a mass of things all stay together, or your chapter heading is trying to stick with a table which is more than a page long.)
Hope that helps
LarryCarey
Propeller Head

Re: Newbie getting killed by an unwanted PDF page break

Post by LarryCarey »

Thanks AJ,
Good ideas, but neither of those seem to be happening. After fooling around with this a little more, I finally discovered that my unwanted PDF page was being generated via the "Auto-end" setting on my TOC topic's "Printed Output" options. It apparently is set to "Enabled" by default.
Setting "Auto-end on 'left' page" option to "DIsabled" fixed my problem.
Has anyone ever counted the number of pagination options for printed outputs in Flare? It is mind-boggling and very confusing. Anyhow, it's all just part of the learning curve.

Onward, through the fog...
:mrgreen:
-lc