Problem with SVG images in PDF output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
awinnefeld
Propeller Head

Problem with SVG images in PDF output

Post by awinnefeld »

I am trying to use SVG images (for things like icons) in my output (PDF and HTML5), but it just won't work for the PDF version. At this point, I really need some help from more experienced folks to figure out what exactly is going wrong.

I have created these numbers in illustrator for testing purposes:
flare-numbers-screen-ai.png
I have included them in my HTML5 output, and they look as I want them to look:
flare-numbers-screen-ai.png
The trouble starts when I create my PDF target. There, I just get these black dots instead:
flare-numbers-pdf.png
So, dear Flare community, what are my options?
- It should be possible to include svgs in the pdf output, right? Or am I trying something that obviously can't or shouldn't be done?
- I don't think there is something fundamentally wrong with the svg files, but maybe there is some mistake - some Illustrator option that I should have used while exporting?
Btw, if I export the same files as EPS instead of SVG, I've got no problems in the PDF output. This isn't really an option though for the web output (or is it?).
- Is there some option I have to set in the PDF target that I might have forgotten about?
- Or is this a simply a bug that I should report to MadCap?

Thank you in advance,
Alexander

EDIT: We are running Flare 2018, if this is important for this problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awinnefeld
Propeller Head

Re: Problem with SVG images in PDF output

Post by awinnefeld »

Just in case anyone runs into a similar problem: I solved it, it had more to do with Adobe Illustrator (and my inaptitude with it) than with Flare.

When exporting my SVG files from Illustrator, I selected the option "Internal CSS" for styling. When this option is used, Illustrator will divide all paths up into classes and style the classes with CSS contained in a <style> attribute in the <defs> section of the SVG file. The problem is that it won't specify what kind of styling is used. This works fine in browsers - they seem to just assume that you're using CSS for styling purposes. This is why my HTML5 output looked good. Some other output formats seem to be less forgiving though - they can't interpret the style information. Instead they'll just default to filling everything black. This is what happened in the PDF output (and also in the Flare preview).

I found two solutions for this:
1. Open the SVG file in a text editor and add the attribute type="text/css" to the style-element. Voilà, it works; or
2. Don't use the "Internal CSS" option when exporting. The same files exported with the "Inline style" option look ok right out of Illustrator.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Problem with SVG images in PDF output

Post by atomdocs »

Thanks for the update, that's good info. SVGs are great but they can be tricky.
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7