All my PDFs suddenly have pdf.props files - is this normal?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
AmandaKWriter
Jr. Propeller Head

All my PDFs suddenly have pdf.props files - is this normal?

Post by AmandaKWriter »

Hi, all

I know that PROPS files are used to store image information from Capture that allows you to retain things like annotations, arrows, and so on. Why do all my PDFs and Word documents - over 150 of them - now all have associated PROPS files in their directories? I can assure you I've not opened these binary files in Capture ;)

Have I toggled something I wasn't supposed to? (I've unchecked View = Hidden in Explorer). Do I need to keep these PROPS files? How did these files get created? What is happening? :shock:

Many thanks for any insights,
Amanda
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: All my PDFs suddenly have pdf.props files - is this norm

Post by Nita Beck »

Props files can be associated with other kinds of files too, and they hold other kinds of information than arrows and such that one would put on images. For example, a props file will store conditions that have been applied to folders and non-Flare files that Flare cannot otherwise edit to apply the conditions.

I assume that the Word and PDF files you are talking about are in your project as source files, yes? Have you recently conditioned those files, individually? If so, Flare will create a props file for each one. If you instead condition the folder that contains the files, then there will be only one props file associated with the folder.

If the PDFs and Word docs you speak of are OUTPUT from Flare, then I am not sure what to say. I am not aware of Flare creating props files for the output it generates.

BTW, you can look inside a props file to gain some insight into what it's for. In Windows Explorer, open the props file in a text editor.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
AmandaKWriter
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: All my PDFs suddenly have pdf.props files - is this norm

Post by AmandaKWriter »

Nita Beck wrote:I assume that the Word and PDF files you are talking about are in your project as source files, yes? Have you recently conditioned those files, individually? If so, Flare will create a props file for each one. If you instead condition the folder that contains the files, then there will be only one props file associated with the folder.
Yes! We have recently conditioned EVERY file due to a modular split in our project. That sounds like what's happened.
Nita Beck wrote:BTW, you can look inside a props file to gain some insight into what it's for. In Windows Explorer, open the props file in a text editor.
Thank you so much Nita! :D Just when I think I have Flare figured out, I get a curve ball, but this forum never disappoints.

Very happy! Thanks again :)

Mands