Understanding heading level diffs in print/online

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
mattf
Sr. Propeller Head

Understanding heading level diffs in print/online

Post by mattf »

I just today realized that I don't know how it is that Flare gives the h1 of a topic a smaller-than-h1 font-size in print outputs when that topic is used as a subsection of another section. It makes sense that in the online help, each title appears as an h1 when you open that topic, but I don't know by what mechanism that same title is printed with a smaller font-size when I compile the PDF, where it becomes just a nested subsection. Years ago, I used to include two top-level headings in each topic, and they were different heading levels, and conditioned for online and print. It was clunky, and I'm not sure now that I had to do that, but I did it and it worked. I haven't done that in years, and it only occurred to me today to wonder how Flare is making all this work automatically. Is it looking at the TOC level the topic is being used for and then cascading a change in the font-sizes for every heading level in that topic to adjust down in size by one level?

Can anyone explain this to me? I'd like to fiddle with my print output heading sizes, but I'm not even sure what they are, given this puzzle.

Thanks,
-Matt
Matt F
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.
atomdocs
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Understanding heading level diffs in print/online

Post by atomdocs »

To answer the question at the end of your first para: Yes :)

There is a setting in PDF targets to "use the TOC depth for heading levels". This link should help:

https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... OC.htm#TOC
Tom
Flare 2022, Capture 7
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Understanding heading level diffs in print/online

Post by doc_guy »

Yes. Basically, top level "books" in your PDF output will have the settings for H1 applied. Next-level-down books/topics will have the settings for H2 applied. Next-level-down books/topics will have the settings for H3 applied, and so on.

So it's not just adjusting the font size. It's actually using your settings for H2, H3, H4, etc. to apply the styles, based on how far down in the tree the topic appears.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog