Referencing topics in another PDF project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Carsten Pedersen
Propeller Head

Referencing topics in another PDF project

Post by Carsten Pedersen »

I have been asked to solve a specific issue that our sales force often encounter.

What they want is to include a list of page/topic references in one PDF output, to another PDF output.
Or in other words, they want a list in one PDF manual to include references in another PDF manual.
E.g. "See Topic X, on page 91 in Manual B"

I know that I can make a PDF manual (lets call it Manual A) with a list including "See Topic X, on page 91".
But how do I build another manual (lets call it Manual B) which includes this list of reference in Manual A ?

The problem is of cause when I build Manual A the page numbers will change based on changed contents,
and in this case Manual B should also be aware of this and refer to the correct page.

Ideas:

Can I generate the list while building Manual A (without including it in Manual A), and then somehow take,
copy or reference the list and include it when building Manual B ?
Can I use a script to generate the list and save it while building Manual A, and then use it in Manual B.

Any suggestions?

-cpede
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Referencing topics in another PDF project

Post by devjoe »

Flare only evaluates page references like this for the manual it is building, so in general this is not going to work. Some ideas:
  • Fake it all with variables. After you build the manuals once, update the variables to the right page numbers and then build it again. Fiddly, especially if you have a lot of these, but it will work if you can put in this amount of effort.
  • Build one document with both manuals in it, resetting the page numbers before the second manual. After the build, use a PDF editor to extract one manual from the other. You probably can't get a proper TOC or index with this, though, but you might be able to do so if you also have separate builds of each document and you PDF-edit the pages of both manuals into the shells from the individual builds (hoping the broken links in the separate builds do not mess up the pagination).