TOC prints on cover page

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

TOC prints on cover page

Post by TechWriter85 »

Hi, all.

My TOC is being printed on the cover page, instead of after the cover page. I've searched and see some hints about assigning a Title page type to my cover page .htm file, but I haven't found a way to do it. Is that the correct solution and if so how do I do it? In any case, how do you get your TOC to appear AFTER the cover page and front matter in your PDF?

Thanks.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: TOC prints on cover page

Post by Nita Beck »

From the sounds of it, in your PDF target, the option that says to generate the TOC automatically is selected. (Sorry, I don’t have access to Flare at the moment to recall precisely which tab — perhaps Advanced — that option can be found or exactly what its name is.)

The original intent of that “generate automatically” option was to allow someone to quickly add a table of contents to a “one-off” print target, without having to go through the trouble of creating a TOC topic. But it offers zero control over where the generated table of contents will appear in the output.

From Flare’s documentation:
The auto-generate method is much quicker and easier than the manual method. The manual method is more flexible but requires you to perform a number of extra steps, such as creating topics, inserting proxies, and adding files to the outline TOC. So if you simply want to quickly create print output with generated TOCs, glossaries, or indexes, the auto-generate option might be best for you. But if you want more control over the placement and look of the generated TOCs, glossaries, and indexes, you should use the manual method.
So, I advise that deselect that “generate automatically” option. Then, create your own “TOC.htm” or “Contents.htm” topic in which you include a TOC.proxy. Place that topic in your TOC in the desired spot following the rest of the front matter.

For info on creating a TOC topic, see https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... -Print.htm.
HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
TechWriter85
Propeller Head

Re: TOC prints on cover page

Post by TechWriter85 »

Thank you, Nita. Your link gave me the guidance I needed. I'd been reading in the 183-page PDF devoted to tables of contents, an avalanche of information, and hadn't found the right pathway. You provided it.