How do I get two page numbers on a single sheet?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
lgrinnell
Propeller Head

How do I get two page numbers on a single sheet?

Post by lgrinnell »

I've been assigned the task of developing a quick start guide for one of our customers. They told us what they wanted: Printed, simplified instructions on 5x7 cards, laminated, spiral binding at the top.

I've got most of the problems solved, with the least waste possible. I found an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet on cardstock, perforated, with two 5x7 cards and minimum waste (thanks again, Amazon!). With the tear-off edges around the cards, I can use tighter margins (about 0.25 in). The cards should go through a laser printer (actually, a Canon color copier) just fine, and then each printed card can be laminated, followed by punching a row of holes at the top for the spiral binding.

I created a layout that allows the text to be entered on the left-hand card and then it flows to the right-hand card. OK so far. Next, I created "decoration" footers (can't have two standard footers on the same page--that should have been my clue...), and I added two System.PageNumber variables--one for each individual 5x7 card.

Here's the problem. No matter what I do, i can only get the one page number (i.e., both cards show page "1", and (sometimes) page "2" shows on the second card, and so on).

Is it even possible to get the page number generator to treat each side of the perforated card stock as a separate page?

See attachments.

TIA!!!

Larry Grinnell
SRT Group
Sunrise, FL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How do I get two page numbers on a single sheet?

Post by Nita Beck »

Yeah, I think you’re stuck if you try to use the built-in PageNumber variable, as I suspect you’re trying to circumvent Flare’s programming. I suspect that counter will increment only once per page.

What if you create a class of p that supplies the counter, by way of its having an auto number, so something like (and I’m *totally* brainstorming here, having no access to Flare at the moment) the following? It could even supply the dashes and centering.

Code: Select all

p.PgNum
{
     mc-auto-number-format: ‘GP:- {n+} -‘;
     text-align: center;
}
(Sorry, my iPad insists on making the single quotation marks above into curly ones; they should be straight ones.)

I’ve named the counter “GP” short for “global page number”. I haven’t tested this, but it should work in theory.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
lgrinnell
Propeller Head

Post by lgrinnell »

Thank you, Nita! I thought it might be something like that. Heck, the programmers can't think of everything.

I'll give your idea a shot the next time I have some time to work on this.

Hope to see you next year, wherever MadWorld will be. I was one of the ones who got stuck at DFW due to hail-damaged airplanes. The only direction I could fly was back east to S. Florida and home.

Larry
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Ah! I felt SO badly for you, that you couldn’t get to San Diego. I hope we do get to meet someday at a future MW.

About the single quotation marks above, I’m not sure I’ve got the first one in the right position. Check out examples of auto-number formats in the Flare documentation.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!