Remove hyperlinks from print output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
parsonsv
Sr. Propeller Head

Remove hyperlinks from print output

Post by parsonsv »

I'm sure I'm just missing something here, but I can't seem to find a solution for printed PDF targets and hyperlinks.

The issue is that some topics have hyperlinks within the page to other topics in the help, and sometimes the hyperlink is actually to a location on our network.

While the general output is HTML5, I sometimes make PDF files from some of the topics.

When the PDF generates, the hyperlinks are in the PDF files. That's find for links to our network location, but I don't want links that go to topics to be active in the PDF file.

In the print medium for <a> I set the following code to remove the hyperlink from print output but retain the words:

Code: Select all

a
	{
		mc-exclude-action: 'unbind';
		mc-conditions: 'Global Conditional Text.ScreenOnly';
	}

That worked great, except that it removed ALL hyperlinks. I tried to figure out a style to apply to the handful of hyperlinks that I want to keep hyperlinked (because they are to a network location and not another topic), but I can't figure out what to do. If I add a new style selector, I can't override the exclude action. I can only choose default (which will use the exclude from A), or unbind, or remove (which removes the words as well).

It was suggested I use the below, but that doesn't appear to have any effect. The hyperlinks are still there.

Code: Select all

a
	{
		display: none;
	}
I don't want to resort to typing all words twice and using Print and Online conditions, as that's a lot of manual work.

I'm sure I must be missing something. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Victoria Clarke
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Remove hyperlinks from print output

Post by Nita Beck »

I would not be adding the exclude:unbind bits or the display:none bit to the base a class in the print medium for the reasons you’ve found out: that’ll affect all hyperlinks.

I think what’ll work is this (although I haven’t tested it): In the default medium, create a new class of a, say a.unbindInPDF, in which you have the exclude:unbind bits, condition it for PrintOnly, and apply it to the links you want to unbind in PDF. Be sure to add a comment in the stylesheet to explain the use of that class.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!