Cross-references pulling out more than h1 data

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
BDAx
Jr. Propeller Head

Cross-references pulling out more than h1 data

Post by BDAx »

When I go to build a PDF copy of my documentation (but NOT when I preview the topic as a PDF), a small number of cross-references pull through not just the h1 data from the linked topic, but also seemingly the entire rest of the topic text, as well. This doesn't happen with most cross-references, but it does with some. If I delete and re-add the cross-references, it still happens, so it seems as though the problem is with the topic I am linking to and not how the cross-reference is made. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
jjw
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Cross-references pulling out more than h1 data

Post by jjw »

I think an xref looks for the first block-level element in the body of a topic so do you maybe have the whole topic wrapped in some element? Like a rogue <p> element say?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I think, in fact, that the xref looks for the first heading tag. Does the destination topic have a heading?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I recognise this behaviour from Word - was your document created from a Word import? Do your x-refs refer to a bookmark? I could be way off, but probably worth taking a quick look, just in case it's a hangover from Word playing silly so-and-sos.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Not sure of that. A bookmark in Word is a container, but a bookmark in HTML is a named location.

Then again, the idea is intriguing and perhaps a bookmark is to blame.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
BDAx
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by BDAx »

jjw wrote:I think an xref looks for the first block-level element in the body of a topic so do you maybe have the whole topic wrapped in some element? Like a rogue <p> element say?
Nita Beck wrote:I think, in fact, that the xref looks for the first heading tag. Does the destination topic have a heading?
I picked two topics, one of which works and one doesn't, and they each begin '<html><head></head><body><h1>Headername</h1><p>'. I don't think there's something extra floating around in there.
ChoccieMuffin wrote:I recognise this behaviour from Word - was your document created from a Word import? Do your x-refs refer to a bookmark? I could be way off, but probably worth taking a quick look, just in case it's a hangover from Word playing silly so-and-sos.
It's imported from HTML, but I've swept through it and cleared extraneous tags and other elements as best I can. And in any event, all the broken (and, for that matter, working) x-refs were created directly in Flare.

The only thing I changed before this stopped working (as far as I can recall) is the default language, in a few places. From one region of English to another. But I've tried changing it back and it doesn't seem to have fixed anything.