Editing topics and PDFs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
kelly2835
Propeller Head

Editing topics and PDFs

Post by kelly2835 »

Hi,
After each edit I make to the topic, do I need to re-generate and attach a new PDF? Or is there a way to auto update the PDF as well?

Thank you!
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Editing topics and PDFs

Post by doc_guy »

You could set up a nightly scheduled build, and then run a post-build script that would move the file to the correct location to publish it for you.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

kelly2835
Propeller Head

Post by kelly2835 »

Thank you doc_guy.

So there isn't an option for to select for the system to automatically re-generate?

I am not sure if I know how to do the script. It sounds like something that's very advance.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Not in Flare itself.

At our company, we use a tool called Jenkins that has jobs created. One job we have watches our GIT repository for changes. Once a change is detected, it automatically connects to a server with MadCap Flare installed, and runs the build. Then the Jenkins job copies the output files to the correct locations. That is how we do real-time building of changes to our docs.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

kelly2835
Propeller Head

Post by kelly2835 »

Thank you again, this is good information! Maybe Flare can add this features for the next version. I can't see myself being the only one who is having to do this manually every time.
kelly2835
Propeller Head

Post by kelly2835 »

I've manually generated the re-vised PDF and when I tried to re-link it, it always makes reference back to the original PDF. I even deleted the original but it's still linking to it. How is that possible?