Additional lines in Word output header

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
FeeMaher
Propeller Head

Additional lines in Word output header

Post by FeeMaher »

Here is an interesting one. I have a pagelayout file with a Title page, First page and Normal page which is used for Word output. The title page is used for the document cover page, the first page is for the TOC page, and the normal page is for the remainder of the document. The only difference between the first and normal page layout is there is no footer on the first page - I have used snippets for the header on the first and normal pages. To make the first page, I created a copy of the normal page and saved it as a first page. For the first page only (printed TOC page) - in all Word output (multiple targets) the header contains 2 carriage returns (paragraphs) above the table in the header, which pushes the image in the header further down the page compared to where the header image is placed in the remainder of the document (which is using the normal page layout). Considering I copied the normal page to create the first page this is odd. I have checked all settings between the two page types (page settings, frame settings, styles, table styles) making sure all settings are exactly the same. I also created styles specifically for the header table, font and image to ensure there was no spacing at the top - but no luck.

I then tried to do away with the first page altogether, and changed the TOC topic in the Flare TOC to use the normal page. The output from this change had no header or footer on the printed TOC page at all. But the remainder of the document used the normal page correctly. I wondered if there was something off with the TOC topic in the Flare TOC, so I removed the TOC topic and added it again, selecting the normal page from the linked pagelayout file (there is only one pagelayout file in the entire project). But this didn't fix the issue (still no header and footer on the TOC page). So I attached the TOC topic to the First page again, and I was back to the original problem (additional spacing in TOC page header).

I have resigned myself to the fact I will have to delete the additional spacing in the header on the Word TOC page - not a biggie considering I have to manually re-align the TOC page numbers over to the right margin (known bug - TOC page numbers align three quarters across the page in Word but not in pdf). Given I will already be making a manual change on the TOC page, deleting two lines in the header won't be too much of a hassle.

Just wanted to check if anyone else has this issue when using first pages for Word output?
FeeMaher
Propeller Head

Re: Additional lines in Word output header

Post by FeeMaher »

I thought I would update this in case anyone else is having this issue. It's been found this is a bug. The additional carriage return in the first page header is only noticeable if you have header content (I have a small icon in the right corner), as it will push the header content downwards compared to where the header content sits on other page frames - and this only occurs in Word. A bug has been reported for this - #154928 in case anyone wants to look up when/if a fix is planned.