Another strange ePub error

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Another strange ePub error

Post by Isleofgough »

In trying to create a hardcover book and corresponding ePub from Flare through IngramSpark, I encountered a new error with Flare generated ePubs. I don't understand the error. InGramSpark gives the message:
[ERROR]OPS/ChapterName.xhtml: 20:90: value of attribute "id" is invalid; must be an XML name without colons.
I get this for three different chapters, with ChapterName being the specific chapters.
Opening the ePub in Sigil, the only attribute designations are the Flare TOC ones. Do you know how to fix this or what I might look for?
Isleofgough
Propeller Head

Re: Another strange ePub error

Post by Isleofgough »

Unfortunately, the reply I got from MadCap tech support is that they don't have IngramSpark and that old versions of Apple Books will open the Flare generated ePubs. I am trying to work with Apple tech support to see why Books (V2) that downloads with Catalina generates a "missing file or directory" message and will not open Flare ePubs. What I have discovered on my own is that Flare moves all the print designations in the CSS style sheet to the ePub (and one can see that in Calibre or Sigil). It also puts the meta cover tag before the name. There are several "unknown property names" warnings as well. I think ePubs will require extensive edits in a third party program before being able to be published. I was so excited when I saw the fix for the compressed mime attachment in the recent Flare build....

Addendum: using Sigils tool "delete unused stylesheet classes" and resaving seems to at least allow Apple Books to open the ePubs. Unfortunately, there remain too many errors for IngramSpark to publish.