Producing _editable_ Powerpoint slides from Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Producing _editable_ Powerpoint slides from Flare

Post by oceanclub »

Have just seen this in a Madcap Flare press release:

https://www.madcapsoftware.com/casestudy/BAInsight.aspx

Additionally, BA Insight makes extensive use of Flare’s functionality for importing Microsoft® Word. Writers take content written using Word and simply import it into Flare. From there, they can publish editable PowerPoint® slides using a Word-to-PDF workflow.

I'd love to know more about how this is possible as editable Powerpoint slides has been a requirement for us for a while.

P.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Producing _editable_ Powerpoint slides from Flare

Post by doc_guy »

I've never heard about that feature. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the showcased company wrote some special code that made it work. That happens _a lot_ with showcased companies. They've used Flare in a really cool, unique way, but they have had to customize the process so extensively, that the average Flare user can't apply what the showcased company has done.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

robdocsmith
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by robdocsmith »

I'm thinking they:
  • Import content from Word and create whatever topics they need
  • Create a powerpoint-like page layout with a pdf target.
  • Reconfigure content into a TOC specifically for that output with any additional front and back matter topics.
  • Output as PDF
  • In Acrobat DC select Export as Powerpoint presentation.
Not what I'd consider an automated process but it does keep all content in Flare and still allow customizations to the presentation down the track. I can't see a path to round-trip it back into Flare without manually editing the Flare content and re-outputting.

Cheers,

Rob
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

It turns out the solution is easier than I thought - Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not Reader) can indeed export an editable Powerpoint presentation. So I set up page layouts and a stylesheet to match our current PowerPoint look and feel, generate to PDF, then open that and convert to PowerPoint.