PDF Templates

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
WriterAndrew
Propeller Head

PDF Templates

Post by WriterAndrew »

OK, so I need to create a "white paper" PDF template.

The requirements are:
1. A Title page with a generic image, corporate logo, and title. I have this part working nicely!
2. A first content page that has a header, a full-width space for an image (from the content, not the template), beneath that a body section split into two columns, and a footer.
3. A further content page that is like 2. above, but without the full-width image.

I have tried several approaches...
All content in a single file, with a single Pagelayout with a Title, First Left, Right and Left styles
Title page content in one file, linked to a Title Pagelayout, and the rest of the content in a 2nd topic, using a 2nd Pagelayout with First Left, Right and Left layouts.
Title page content in one file, linked to a Title Pagelayout, content for the "3 frame" page in another topic linked to its own PageLayout, and the rest of the content in another topic, linked to Pagelayouts for Left and Right Pages.

None give the output I expect... I define (in the TOC) which layout to use, but Flare ignores my settings and does its own thing... (Mainly, I can get the image in the right place, but the text that follows it refuses to sit on the same page, even though the body frames are set up for it to do so...) Also, often, the "First left (3 frame)" page will then again appear later on, although I cannot see why...

My feeling that the issue is caused somehow by the full-width graphic that I want at the start of the first "non-title" page - but I need this graphic to be different for each whitepaper (ie. part of the content, not the template), not just a single, stock image used on all outputs that use this template...

Before I try to teach my laptop (with Flare installed) to fly out the window, can someone offer any suggestions here?
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: PDF Templates

Post by doloremipsum »

It's a bit difficult to tell what is wrong from your description - there are all sorts of things it could be. But here is what I would do:
  • Create a single page layout file with three pages: Title, First and Body (or, if required, Title, First, Left, Right).
  • Put the title page content in one topic file, and the rest of the content in other files (I would normally do one per heading).
  • In the TOC, set the Title topic to the correct Page Layout and the Title Page Type. Set the second topic to the First Page Type. All other content will default to the Body Page Type (or Left/Right as appropriate) - don't set a page layout break on these topics, because that will cause a new page.
  • Create an image style class called e.g. firstpageimage. Set column-break-after to always (and make sure that page-break-after is not set!). This should push the text into next body frame on the page if the image does not quite fill the space.
I don't think there's a need for the First Left page in this case and it might just be complicating matters.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
WriterAndrew
Propeller Head

Post by WriterAndrew »

I think I've found the issue... Flare expected every topic to start with an H1 heading... but I wanted it to start with a graphic...
Solution: Wrap the graphic in H1 tags, and define a class to use the spacing I need.
Then, Flare is happy to carry on as I wanted it to!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

I don't think that should be true? I don't think that anything in Flare actually demands that a topic start with a head, it's just generally good practice.

But if it works it works!
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.