Adding multiple empty pages

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
DanielSvensson
Jr. Propeller Head

Adding multiple empty pages

Post by DanielSvensson »

Hi!

We have a checklist at the end of some of our PDF manuals that’s meant to be ripped out from the printed manual before being filled in. Because of this, we don’t want any content on the back of the checklist. After the checklist is a back cover page which should also have no content on its “front”. Because of how this will flow in the manual we want two empty pages in a row:

Checklist – on the right
Empty page – on the left (the back of the checklist)
Empty page – on the right (the “front” of the back cover)
Back cover page – on the “left”

But I’m having trouble figuring out how to get Flare to do this… If I set the checklist to be “right” in the ToC and the back cover to be “left” (which I suppose is what I want) then the back just follows straight after the checklist (which is expected). However, it doesn’t feel correct to set the back cover to right to force Flare to insert an empty page (which it does) and besides, this only gets me a single empty page.

Is there a good way of forcing Flare to insert multiple empty pages in a row or do I somehow have to “hack” one (or two) in by putting blank topics in the ToC or something? I would like to avoid this if possible since it would, as I understand it, force us to create a new “empty” page layout (since “empty” can’t be selected as the page type in the ToC node).

Does this make sense or am I missing something completely here :)!

Thanks a lot in advance!

/Daniel
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Adding multiple empty pages

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

First off, welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll find them helpful.

As to your problem, the first thing that leapt to my mind was to create a paragraph style in your stylesheet that inserts a page break after, call it "empty page" for the sake of argument. In the topic that contains your checklist, before your checklist title add two paragraphs with not text and format them with your "empty page" style. I think that would do the trick. I know it's a hack and others with more skill may come along with something clever (like adding something in your stylesheet for the Checklist heading where you specify ::before stuff for that style, but I'm not smart enough, and at least this way you can see when looking at the topic what's going on, and you can add an empty page very obviously anywhere you want to.)

Hope that helps, and also that someone comes along with a better suggestion.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
DanielSvensson
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Adding multiple empty pages

Post by DanielSvensson »

Thank you for your welcome and reply! I like your suggestion a lot more than I like mine :)! I’ll give it a shot!

Thank you very much!