How to force an empty left page on the last page of a book?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to PDF, eBook, Microsoft Word, Adobe FrameMaker, XPS, and XHTML book targets.
Eric_H
Propeller Head

How to force an empty left page on the last page of a book?

Post by Eric_H »

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to Flare, and I'm hoping the community can help me out with a page layout question for one of my PDF outputs.
  • In my page layout files, I have First Right, Left, Right, and Empty Left pages defined for all of the chapters in my book.
  • In my PDF target, on the Advanced tab, I have the Inject empty pages as needed to ensure TOC nodes start on their selected pages check box selected.
  • In the properties for each chapter in the TOC file, I have Page Type set to First Right, and Auto-end on 'left' page set to Disabled.
These settings work almost perfectly; all my chapters start on First Right pages, and Empty Left pages appear at the end of preceding chapters where necessary for that to happen.

However, the last chapter of my book, the revision history, is only one page. When I build the target PDF, the revision history appears as a First Right on page 215, with no final Empty Left page after it (which would be page 216). If the user printed the book, the back of page 215 would be completely blank. I would at least like the Empty Left page's header and footer on it.

I tried setting the Auto-end on 'left' page to Enabled for the revision history chapter in the TOC file, thinking that might force an Empty Left page after the revision history. No such luck: the revision history still appears on page 215, the last page of the book, with no following Empty Left page.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: How to force an empty left page on the last page of a bo

Post by doloremipsum »

Not sure how other people handle empty pages, but I would do it by creating a placeholder topic that doesn't have any content, inserting it whenever necessary and setting it to 'Empty Left' in the TOC. Bit of a brute force method.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
Eric_H
Propeller Head

Re: How to force an empty left page on the last page of a bo

Post by Eric_H »

doloremipsum wrote:Not sure how other people handle empty pages, but I would do it by creating a placeholder topic that doesn't have any content, inserting it whenever necessary and setting it to 'Empty Left' in the TOC. Bit of a brute force method.
Thank you! That's quite similar to my current workaround, which is to add a manual page break at the end of the content, followed by an empty paragraph. As you say, a bit of an inelegant force.